The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a flat tire today while on the highway (doing about 75mph). It turns out I had this piece of rod (looks like part of an antenna or something) about the diameter of a size AAA battery and about 3inches long that got lodged in my left rear tire.
Had to replace with the wimpy temporary spare tire (will it cost that much more for them to have a full-size spare?)....It's messing up the look! :eek:
Anyway, I'll take it to see if they can repair it, but I think I might just get a new one (that same tire had a small nail lodged in it that the dealer noticed when I went for my oil change and they patched it up...
If I had to get a new one, what will be the recommendation?
The original ones are listed as P205/65TR16 .......what does it mean? :eek:(pressure (P)?, T?, R16 I think is the rim size).....do I have to get the same tire as before? where can i find the best deal?
Input will be appreciated..

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
AltimateCarDriver said:
Unless you're gonna replace the other three, stick with the stock size (obviously), manufacturer and model. You don't want an oddball tire on there. It might work fine, but it looks goofy as hell.
The original ones are listed as P205/65TR16 .......what does it mean? :eek:(pressure (P)?, T?, R16 I think is the rim size...
Here's a simple primer on tire nomenclature:

P = Passenger car. You'll see other abbreviations for other types of tires, such as LT (light truck).
205 = Tread width in millimeters.
65 = Aspect ratio in percent. The aspect ratio is the height of the sidewall divided by the tread width. In this case, the sidewall is 65 percent as tall as the tire is wide, or roughly 133 millimeters.
T = Speed rating. I don't remember all the figures, but T indicates the tire is rated to 118 mph. Other common ratings include H (to 130 mph), V (to 149 mph) and Z (150-plus mph). The Z rating is slowly being replaced by more specific ratings, such as W and Y, which indicate a maximum rated speed rather than simply "Good beyond 150 mph."
R = Radial construction. You don't see too many bias-ply tires any more (maybe none at all, since racing made the big conversion to radials about a decade ago).
16 = Rim diameter in inches. The metric system never totally caught on with tire sizes, so we have tread width in mm and rim diameter in inches. I do remember a Mustang in the early '80s that rolled out of the factory with metric rims, though. That was the end of that. ;)

Hope this helps.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5 SE 5-speed
'02 G20 Sport 5-speed

·
Registered
45 Posts
AltimateCarDriver said:

dude....get some white walls...that would look tight...

·
Retired Member
53 Posts
Re: Re: Have to get a new Tire

jkwright said:

Unless you're gonna replace the other three, stick with the stock size (obviously), manufacturer and model. You don't want an oddball tire on there. It might work fine, but it looks goofy as hell.

Here's a simple primer on tire nomenclature:

P = Passenger car. You'll see other abbreviations for other types of tires, such as LT (light truck).
205 = Tread width in millimeters.
65 = Aspect ratio in percent. The aspect ratio is the height of the sidewall divided by the tread width. In this case, the sidewall is 65 percent as tall as the tire is wide, or roughly 133 millimeters.
T = Speed rating. I don't remember all the figures, but T indicates the tire is rated to 118 mph. Other common ratings include H (to 130 mph), V (to 149 mph) and Z (150-plus mph). The Z rating is slowly being replaced by more specific ratings, such as W and Y, which indicate a maximum rated speed rather than simply "Good beyond 150 mph."
R = Radial construction. You don't see too many bias-ply tires any more (maybe none at all, since racing made the big conversion to radials about a decade ago).
16 = Rim diameter in inches. The metric system never totally caught on with tire sizes, so we have tread width in mm and rim diameter in inches. I do remember a Mustang in the early '80s that rolled out of the factory with metric rims, though. That was the end of that. ;)

Hope this helps.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5 SE 5-speed
'02 G20 Sport 5-speed

good info, just what i was lookng for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.