The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've just installed new header in my 06 altima 2.5, everything is great so far but just having one issue, it seems like the header is really close to the alternator. Has anyone done this and had any issues with the alternator being really close to the header? Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys, so I've just installed new header in my 06 altima 2.5, everything is great so far but just having one issue, it seems like the header is really close to the alternator. Has anyone done this and had any issues with the alternator being really close to the header? Thanks for the responses.
I have an 08 Altima 2.5 and I put stillen headers on my Altima. I noticed the same thing. I had to take the alternator off in order to take the old headers off and put the new ones on. Really I think that is just the way Nissan designed the QR25DE motor. I've had no problems everything fits fine. You're just over thinking. Also I've learned this lesson very quick on fourms. Make sure you do all the research you can possibly do before posting something like this (not that you haven't). You'll be surprised what you can find on the Internet when you search the right phrase. Also if you bought the headers specifically made for that year and model then you'll be fine.

Good luck with anything else you do on the car! Much respect!

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine and it's been 2 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an 08 Altima 2.5 and I put stillen headers on my Altima. I noticed the same thing. I had to take the alternator off in order to take the old headers off and put the new ones on. Really I think that is just the way Nissan designed the QR25DE motor. I've had no problems everything fits fine. You're just over thinking. Also I've learned this lesson very quick on fourms. Make sure you do all the research you can possibly do before posting something like this (not that you haven't). You'll be surprised what you can find on the Internet when you search the right phrase. Also if you bought the headers specifically made for that year and model then you'll be fine.

Good luck with anything else you do on the car! Much respect!
Yeah I you're right about the overthinking lol, im just afraid of the heat coming from the header and the alternator being so close it would have a negative effect on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah I you're right about the overthinking lol, im just afraid of the heat coming from the header and the alternator being so close it would have a negative effect on it.
One thing that I just thought of after you said that and I forgot to mention. I also wrapped the headers with a heat wrap plus I sprayed it with a heat protective spray. I picked up both of them from autozone. The wrap is 50 bucks and the spray is like 6. Did you wrap them? I would highly suggest you do that. That will keep the heat down in your engine bay. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but if I can wrap my headers so can you. There are hundreds of YouTube videos on how to properly wrap headers. It was my first time doing it. Also buy steel ties to secure the end of the wrap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is how my headers look in my engine bay after I installed them. Without the wrap I think you'll still be fine and it shouldn't effect the alternator but just to be on the safe side.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
One thing that I just thought of after you said that and I forgot to mention. I also wrapped the headers with a heat wrap plus I sprayed it with a heat protective spray. I picked up both of them from autozone. The wrap is 50 bucks and the spray is like 6. Did you wrap them? I would highly suggest you do that. That will keep the heat down in your engine bay. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but if I can wrap my headers so can you. There are hundreds of YouTube videos on how to properly wrap headers. It was my first time doing it. Also buy steel ties to secure the end of the wrap.
OP, I would do some serious research on this topic before taking the advice of one person on a forum to go wrap your header. While heat wrap has its benefits - especially for race teams who rebuild race motors after every race - it has a long list of cons. Do your own research and then make a call that works for you.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
I've considered header wraps myself but like stated above, I did some researched and decided against it. Just because I didn't do doesn't mean you have to. When spike drove his Altima, he got header wraps.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I've considered header wraps myself but like stated above, I did some researched and decided against it. Just because I didn't do doesn't mean you have to. When spike drove his Altima, he got header wraps.
Yep. This. Do research, though. Then make your call and own the decision. GL! :grin

·
Registered
43 Posts
OP, I would do some serious research on this topic before taking the advice of one person on a forum to go wrap your header. While heat wrap has its benefits - especially for race teams who rebuild race motors after every race - it has a long list of cons. Do your own research and then make a call that works for you.
I actually wasn't aware of any cons with wrapping headers. Thanks for the info. Like BPuff57 said do your own research and make your call. BP has far more experience than I do and I no way claim to be any expert on this subject. Only letting you know my experience and what I did. Good luck on whatever every you do bro.

Reactions: BPuff57

·
600 Posts
You will notice on 02+ 2.5L QR25DE engines that far manifold runner even from factory is dented in to clear the alternator being so close, no worries how it is! I have sold header options since 2003 and haven't heard of any heat issues or what not. Just getting off the oem pre-cat is key ASAP, as known engine killer with time. Header mod is great engine safety and good gains along with it!

·
RAIDERS !!!!
365 Posts
I had a megan knock off header that didn't fit without putting a small spacer on alternator mounting bracket, new header fits perfect but it is super close to the alt. No issues and Ive had a header on my car for over 180,000miles, and I push the RPM's daily with no heat issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts