The Nissan Club banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is your 2015 Altima still under warranty? If not, how long ago did the warranty expire? Nissan finally said they would pay half. Actually, they are paying more than half of what the dealership told me last month it would be ($1,000.00). My part is now going to be $410.00 (this price includes tax,etc.).

My warranty had expired but I had brought it in right before the warranty expired. At that time, Nissan dealership couldn't find anything. After warranty expired, of course they found the whole light assembly needed to be replaced.

If your warranty has not expired, I would highly recommend going to the dealership and document it.

From what I understand, just replacing light bulbs will not help.

Unfortunately, it is not under warranty anymore. I have almost 64k. When it was under warranty,
I had Nissan check out the headlights and they wrote it off as no problems found. After dealing with annoying quality quirky issues, I have given up on the car and just do regular maintenance.
Here's the link to IIHS headlights review http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/nissan/altima-4-door-sedan/2015and It shows Nissan Altima (except LED or HID) as poor and not enough light output. I did buy my car brand new in November 2014.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,000 Posts

·
the bringer of rain
14 Posts
The bulbs in my 2013 2.5SL were super dim so I upgraded the low beams and fog lights to LED's 6000K. I LOVE the look and the functionality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's no solution. You all probably know that by now. This is a well known issue for all the 2013/15 owners
Here is the link to the class action lawsuit.
Please join. Nissan is refusing to help us
https://classlawyer.lawyer/investigation-of-nissan-altimas-unsafe-headlights/
Sadly, you're right. If anyone wants to know WHY the lights are dimming, it's because the reflective material in the light assembly has burned off from the heat of the bulbs. The attached picture is one that I just pulled out of my daughter's assembly, after replacing them with a set I got from Rockauto.com. The shiny silver around the edge of the reflector is what should be inside, but as you can see, it's been oxidized off. My guess is that there was a fault in either the manufacturing process, the chemicals used, or both. I agree that this is something that NISSAN should have put a recall in for, and put the manufacturers of the assemblies to task on it.

·
w00t
5,992 Posts
Since you have things removed might as well swap in some D2S projectors + bulbs or an H1 Mini retrofit set... plus, you pic you posted the camera will pick up on the light the naked eye doesn't see... to someone that doesn't know it looks like you're running 4200K stock HID system.

Way better light output, I retrofitted my Sentra with D2S retrofit mini 4.0 and 6000K (more like 5500K) Osram bulbs. better look and waaaaaaaaay better output.

BTW, you should never compare Halogen vs LED vs HID, it's just unfair... Obviously Nissan will charge you an arm and a leg for a stock halogen set of headlamps at dealer cost (brand new) when you can get similar quality of that of a aftermarket brand like DEPO and pay practically half that. Paid roughly $600 or $700 in parts for my retrofit and I must say, I'm EXTREMELY PLEASED!

All you really have to go is clean out those reflector cup/housing and change the optical lense and get a kit from TRS and should be cheaper than a full on retrofit.

One more thing... ANZO, TYC and Eagle Eye are crap... I bought a set of eagle eye headlamps for my retrofit and they break... cheap plastics being used... you want quality, get DEPO brand... Those LED styped ANZO are garbage and the LED DRL strip will fade or discolor quick, if not stop working.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-Style-BLACK-Projector-Head-Light-Halogen-DEPO-Fits-13-14-Nissan-Altima-Sedan/310988638106?epid=672472794&hash=item48685e079a:g:LEsAAOSw7PBToLT1:rk:21:pf:0

·
Hammy
38 Posts
Me and my dad both noticed the same thing with my 13' Altima. Headlights just sucked. I did replace the headlights and fog light bulbs with the same 6k led bulbs and it's much better. I did, however, notice that the fog lights do illuminate farther and wider than the headlights which makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're using the original OEM headlight assembly for your bulbs, the reason the headlights aren't working well is because the reflective material in the reflector (where your bulb is seated) has most likely oxidized and burnt off. If you see above, I posted a picture of the reflector assembly in an OEM headlight assembly.

The only way to correct that problem is to replace the complete assembly. While it's going to set you back a few hundred (I think I paid less than $300 for both), it's actually a lot easier to replace than what it seems. If you are using the original assemblies, just save yourself the grief and swap them out with the 6k bulbs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do not switch out with 6k bulbs, that is just the temperature which dictates the color. You'll get the best output at 4300-5500k temp range. I had this issue with my Altima and I had tried everything and after much research I opted for a diy projects involving swapping out the OEM projectors with Maxima h1 projectors. It was well worth it. But doing it myself ran me around 400 for the entire thing. If you think you only have about a foot of projection in front of your car, I would start by having a mechanic or dealership aim ur projectors higher it'll help you see further down the road. But I'd say find some automotive place in your area that specializes in automotive lighting and have them swap ur projectors and bulb to better ones. You might spend some money once and get it done and over with rather than experimenting with different bulbs which add up to a lot of money.

·
w00t
5,992 Posts
Switching out different kits of HID's for non-HID projectors will not have the output you're looking for. Each bulb has a preset output which makes one better than the other BUT, aftermarket companies are changing. TRS compared 3 different types of Osram D2S HID bulbs in the same (aftermarket) projector 5000K < 5500K < 6000K < 7000K... by their test at 35w each which astonished me... usually the trade off is the higher the kelvin the lower the lumen or lux... but the strange thing is, their 7000K rated bulbs are technically blue/white which should be below 3500lm... but exceeded the lumen of it's lower kelvin brothers and it was a brighter white color.

I'm running 6000K D2S Osram bulbs (@ 35W) and they're really bright white with small hues of blue, as you can see in the pics above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi. I had this same miserable issue on my 2013 back in 2013. Someone here suggested altering one of the bulbs (maybe it was the fog light?) which had a higher lumen rating but used the same voltage and sticking it in the headlight slot. (You have to cut one or both of the plugs down, I don't recall exactly). That is what I ended up doing and it's not great but it IS markedly improved, I actually turned onto curbs I couldn't see with the regular headlight bulbs, complained to nissan a bunch of times, and was ready to return the car because I thought I was gonna die. I never in my life had this problem with a car before, and I have driven some real crappy rentals. I know the original post is a year old but good luck. You shouldn't have to alter headlights on a car to be able to see what is right in front of you. SMH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same issue with mine, I put the complaint in the NHTSA, I hope they force Nissan to do a low beam headlight recall before more accidents due to the cheap and bad quality that Nissan sells.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Altima S. It has 33,000 miles on it. The headlights have been a problem for a while. The headlights are so dim I can barely see a foot in front of me. Traveling through my neighborhood on the way home from work, I have to put my brights on to see. I can see with those on. I haven't had anyone bright me back. I'm thinking the brights must not be too bright.

I've read some posts on here but have not seen any solutions. I've seen where people have been successful on replacing them DIY. But, I do not see any posts after stating it fixed the problem.

I'm not having any other electrical problems right now.

Nissan dealership said it would be about $1,000.00 to fix the problem. They said they would have to replace the projectors also. They tried new bulbs but it didn't help.

I'm not into paying $1,000.00 to fix headlights. Thought I could find someone that knew the solution. Then, I might be able to find a competitive price for someone to fix the problem. Crossing my fingers someone on here knows the solution! Thanks!
I also had the same problem with the headlights being so dim I couldn't see at night. I installed a set of HID headlights I found on amazon on my 2014 Altima SV and it helped a little but not much. But, I also installed a pair of aftermarket fog lights and the fog lights light up the road more than the actual lights do. I am looking into changing the headlight housings with the aftermarket types because I was reading on here and people are saying that the stock housings are cloudy and I am noticing they are right. I can take some pics of my setup if you would like to see what I am working with?

·
6,000 Posts
You can refinish the lense on your headlights in 30-45min with a $15 kit and a bucket of water. Ask at any auto parts store for a 'headlight refinisher kit'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can refinish the lense on your headlights in 30-45min with a $15 kit and a bucket of water. Ask at any auto parts store for a 'headlight refinisher kit'.
It's the insides of the lenses that are cloudy, the outsides are fine. Can I use your method on the insides?

·
6,000 Posts
The insides are cloudy? Is it water vapour or dust? Either one will cause significant loss of light output...but if the seals are gone (water)...your idea to replace the units entirely may be the right one. If it's just dust, you could remove them and swish a couple of rounds of methanol in it to try to clean the dust out.

In either case, removing the lights isn't terribly difficult, but the bumper does come off easily enough. CARiD has some cheap aftermarket units.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts