The Nissan Club banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The insides are cloudy? Is it water vapour or dust? Either one will cause significant loss of light output...but if the seals are gone (water)...your idea to replace the units entirely may be the right one. If it's just dust, you could remove them and swish a couple of rounds of methanol in it to try to clean the dust out.

In either case, removing the lights isn't terribly difficult, but the bumper does come off easily enough. CARiD has some cheap aftermarket units.
Ok thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,
I am on the same boat as everyone. My headlights are going as dim as candle lights since year now. So I tried LED bulbs from Amazon and guess what that didn't improve anything at all. In rain it felt like the headlights are not even on. So after some research and reading posts above I believe I have to change the headlight units. What brand do you guys suggest for aftermarket unit that is reliable and will last few years at least?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has been a very informative thread. I have the same dimness problem on my 2014 Altima, which, otherwise, is one of the best cars I've owned. Here's the question I don't see an answer to: when dealers have said that an owner needs to replace the headlight assemblies, are those replacements new and improved parts that will not have the same problem again? Also, if I want to fix this myself, is there any way to tell which parts manufacturers provide a part that will not fail again? Has anyone replaced them and had great success over several years? If so, which brand?

The net here is that I don't want to pay the local dealer $500-1000, OR spend a bunch of time and slightly less money on the DIY fix for $350-400, only to have the same thing happen again in two years.

Also, EVERYONE should report this issue to the nhtsa dot gov website, and it may result in a recall. There is a Report a Problem link on the right side of the main page. Takes 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been a very informative thread. I have the same dimness problem on my 2014 Altima, which, otherwise, is one of the best cars I've owned. Here's the question I don't see an answer to: when dealers have said that an owner needs to replace the headlight assemblies, are those replacements new and improved parts that will not have the same problem again? Also, if I want to fix this myself, is there any way to tell which parts manufacturers provide a part that will not fail again? Has anyone replaced them and had great success over several years? If so, which brand?

The net here is that I don't want to pay the local dealer $500-1000, OR spend a bunch of time and slightly less money on the DIY fix for $350-400, only to have the same thing happen again in two years.

Also, EVERYONE should report this issue to the nhtsa dot gov website, and it may result in a recall. There is a Report a Problem link on the right side of the main page. Takes 5 minutes.
I have a 14 Nissan Altima as well. After the 1st year of ownership I noticed the low beams were dimming to the point of no night time vision while driving. I was actually stopped by local police who thought I was driving without my headlights on. The police officer made a joke that I be better off using two flash lights, I agreed. Since the 1st year I've replaced the manufacturer bulbs with HIDs which didnt make much of a difference. After the HIDs I decided to replace the manufacturer assembly with an aftermarket assembly hopeing it would be better than the lemon headlights that came with the car. Unfortunately the aftermarket lights didnt provide much better lighting so I now only use bright lights the entire time I'm driving. To make matters worse after having the aftermarket lights about a year and a half the inside of the lens starting to turn a yellowish color making even the bright lights less effective. I dont want to waste anymore money on headlights for this car. If anyone found a solution please post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to fix this issue for about $150 plus my own labor. Bought replacements on that huge e commerce site from Seattle. Installation was a decent amount of work (have to remove bumper), but nothing too bad if you have the tools and are very careful about labeling which screws/bolts go where. Will these have the same problem eventually? Maybe. But looking good and working well for now.

"SPEC-D TUNING For 13-15 Nissan Altima Projector Headlights"
Seller: G ForceUSA
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WW7D8QH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_asin_title&tag=mshop-android-att-sam-star2-phone-pre-us-20#

Best video I found on removing bumper (a little more detail than the video below re this part).

Best video I found on entire process of removing bumper and replacing headlight assembly

You're also gonna want to buy a pair of "Nissan Altima Fender Liner Retainer - Front" by Dorman, part 963-545. They have them everywhere. Pulling off the bumper broke the two of these plastic screw things that were there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought a 2013 Nissan Altima a few months back. Had decent miles and have always heard good things about Nissan. Anyhow my headlights are horrible! The brights are ok. But the dim I can't see hardly at all while driving and it scares me! Especially having my three kids in the car. I try and drive with my brights as much as possible but when there's traffic I can't. We even bought a whole new assembly kit and it's still pretty much the same. It's really upsetting. If my husband is off of work we have to drive the 2014 Toyota Corolla if we are going anywhere at night bc of it. The difference in the dim lights on the Corolla and the dim lights on the Altima are crazy! The brights on the Altima is about the dim on the Corolla. And it should not be that way! I can see maybe a couple of feet in front of me when driving. Also I seen where some were talking about projectors. Does the projector come with the new assembly? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
everyone that is experiencing this issue needs to file a complaint with the NHTSA to get Nissan to fix this problem. it's a known issue that the reflective material in the projector is bad and Nissan doesn't want to acknowledge this issue and issue a recall to replace the Lights. here is a link to the NHTSA website: www nhtsa gov
when I looked there were only 4 complaints listed. if everyone that is having this problem files a complaint maybe it will get looked at. I had to remove the link but the address is still the same just insert the dot between :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Altima S. It has 33,000 miles on it. The headlights have been a problem for a while. The headlights are so dim I can barely see a foot in front of me. Traveling through my neighborhood on the way home from work, I have to put my brights on to see. I can see with those on. I haven't had anyone bright me back. I'm thinking the brights must not be too bright.

I've read some posts on here but have not seen any solutions. I've seen where people have been successful on replacing them DIY. But, I do not see any posts after stating it fixed the problem.

I'm not having any other electrical problems right now.

Nissan dealership said it would be about $1,000.00 to fix the problem. They said they would have to replace the projectors also. They tried new bulbs but it didn't help.

I'm not into paying $1,000.00 to fix headlights. Thought I could find someone that knew the solution. Then, I might be able to find a competitive price for someone to fix the problem. Crossing my fingers someone on here knows the solution! Thanks!
I have the same problems with 2015 Altima Spc.Ed.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts