1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
older then dirt
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
update on headliner rattle

HELP.....

does anybody know the end results with
solutions from dealerships on the rattles in the headliner/sunroof ??? for those of you who
had them....thanks!

JIM :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
do you have a sunroof?

if not - then it's most likely the dome light rattle - search around

if you do - mine is getting fixed for it tonight - part a little out of spec behind the headliner - should have it back by 5 pm. They sent a Nissan Corp. Tech out to check it out as well.

·
older then dirt
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, mine has a sunroof, what was out of spec? are they replacing the entire headliner? or just a part?...thanks!!
JIM:(

·
Registered
95 Posts
they replaced the headline causer they thought one of the wires that were internal - for the light - was making that noise - and they said it was delaminating. That solved the problem for a few days - then it came back.

Then I brought it back - but since it was raining - they couldn't hear it - so I when I heard it again - I drove there - got the Tech and made him ride with me. He heard it - said to bring it back today - so I did. Now they have that same tech - and a corp. tech - working on it now - they did say they found it.

I'll know more when I pick it up tonight - so I can read the work order and talk to the Tech.

·
older then dirt
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks,..... let me know how it all works out....
I appreciate your help....JIM

·
Registered
95 Posts
ok - the headliner has been fixed.

There is a brace - between the headliner and the roof of the car - under a load this brace would flex a little - causing the rattle. This brace is a little on the thin side - which is why it flexed - and caused the noise. They reinforced the brace and put in extra insulation in the roof. They are washing it now, and it'll be ready for pickup tonight!

·
older then dirt
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah....... all the joys of being the first kid on the block
with a new toy!!!!......guess somethings got to give....
Good luck,......thanks for the feed back.....JIM

·
Registered
95 Posts
ok - the lady on the phone described the problem completely wrong. I talked to the tech and this is what it is.

There is a cross beam for support - for the sunroof and headliner - behind the sunroof. This was rattling against the roof. It was fixed by padding the entire crossbeam between it and the roof. The problem is indeed fixed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am 100% positive that it was not the sunglasses - because I don't keep my sun glasses in the car - nor do I keep anything up there. But that was where I first looked. If you open the sunroof sun shade - you can get an ear up ther and listen - it was coming from above the passenger seat. That was confirmed with a steth-o-scope.

Also - the dealer took down the headliner - and then drove around and still heard it - before fixing the cross bar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've developed the same rattle in my dome light. I'm 43 miles from my dealer so I'm not looking forward to takeing this in. I wish I could make the repair myself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
javentre said:
ok - the lady on the phone described the problem completely wrong. I talked to the tech and this is what it is.

There is a cross beam for support - for the sunroof and headliner - behind the sunroof. This was rattling against the roof. It was fixed by padding the entire crossbeam between it and the roof. The problem is indeed fixed.

I had the same problem.. And that is exactally what it was.. They just added extra support and now it is fine.. :) they fixed this like 3 months ago on my car as well and i have not had this problem since. BUT it is still happening in my steering column ERRRR...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can't believe everybody's dome light rattles, thats funny cause mine rattles to. I just ignore it. Seems like every time I take something back to the dealership, it either comes back worse or they wreck something else and piss me off worse! I think dealers suck!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.