The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I haven't seen a thread on the terrible forward angle of the Altima headrests. Both the wife and I agree that we'd like to lean back into the seat backs and get comfy but can't because the headrests contact our heads long before we've settled our upper backs into the seat back. If we lean back all the way, it causes our heads to be pushed forward very uncomfortably. Well I got tired of that! I just took them out, turned them around and stuck them back in. Yes, they don have adjustability any longer but it is not needed anyway. It fully supports our heads in the full-down position. And they look better and more like they were meant to be that angle.

·
1,728 Posts
Can't believe I haven't seen a thread on the terrible forward angle of the Altima headrests. Both the wife and I agree that we'd like to lean back into the seat backs and get comfy but can't because the headrests contact our heads long before we've settled our upper backs into the seat back. If we lean back all the way, it causes our heads to be pushed forward very uncomfortably. Well I got tired of that! I just took them out, turned them around and stuck them back in. Yes, they don have adjustability any longer but it is not needed anyway. It fully supports our heads in the full-down position. And they look better and more like they were meant to be that angle.
Oh, it has come up before, but it seems to be the trend. I think it's a safety thing and a lot of newer cars have the headrests setup for support of your head rather then comfort. You tend to adjust to it and forget how it bothered you when you first noticed it. I had totally forgotten and don't notice any discomfort anymore, til your thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In checking previous posts concerning the headrest issue, I haven't found any about the possibility/feasibility of removing some of the innards from the headrest to make it less of a protrusion (which is annoying while I'm driving)? Any opinions? Anyone done this yet?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I like my seat back to lean back a bit for comfort and this put the headrest to head distance just enough for clearance. I don't have to move my head back but an inch or so for it to come into contact with the headrest, but at least it is not touching my head. You might try that to see if it will help you.

I would be a little leery or removing any of the padding in the head rest. By the way, I lived a lot of years and drove a lot of cars without a headrest and I am still among the living.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OP, I agree with you. The headrest is very forward. I noticed most new cars are doing that. Must be a safety thing. Some people have bent the posts back for comfort. I ended up getting used to it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree with you 100% and have posted about this before. I did as you and turned them around for a while. Then, after the neck pain stopped, I turned it back around and adjusted the seatback so it was a little further back than I'd like, keeping the head rest away from my head. Then, over the next few days, I slowly adjusted the seat back up a little each day until it was just reasonably comfortable. I've kept it there ever since.

It is true that many manufacturers are moving the head rests closer to your head but the Altima is more forward than any of the 2012 cars I've driven.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Majority detest the Rogue headrest. Thank goodness it's my wife's vehicle. Simple fix would have been to have made them pivotable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts