The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
cthunder said:
I would have, but cleaning a 8 year old engine isnt exactly fun, and port and polish is better left to a professional.

I agree there. I guess I am spoiled having a hot tank in the room next to my lift. Head work should be done by a pro though. Taking it apart and putting it back together can be done by you but shaving, porting and polishing should be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
he can match port it himself. but i wouldnt recommend any other porting for someone whos never done it before... i learned the hard way, on a vw. LOTS of trial and error.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
I paid 2400$ for headwork total. Waste of money if you ask me....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jaltima said:
I paid 2400$ for headwork total. Waste of money if you ask me....
just curious why did you say a waste of money for, I am considering getting it done at a shop in miami that quoted me $1850
and for the guys that have this done how much of a improvement did it make

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Well that's 2400$ canadien to begin with. If your planning to get the headwork and not build up the bottom end I wouldn't even bother. I barely felt the difference....it was just like I installed an intake. Save your money and build it up first.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
wouldnt pay over 1500... check out thier work, look for swirls, discolorations, and streaks. over 1500 is too much, you can find smaller shops that'll do just as good of a job if not better for a lot cheaper. overall, my port and polish couldnt have been over 1k, the machinist that did my engine has been out for a while, but he did my engine on his own time.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
I paid $300 for a Basic performance valve grind, It is costing about $600 to do my brothers SR head , Basic Performance valve gring , port match and Short turn radius's ...... Major port work is expensive ,and if I had the money I would just do an Extrude hone and performance valve grind !!

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
What are some of the things that will produce the actual power. Is a P&P a waste of money? I only hear mainly about the valve grind actually haveing an impact on hp. I got a big bill and was told all kinds of mumbo jumbo, but I didn't feel much of a difference. What should we expect from headwork?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts