The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
its a sleeper. really
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my door speakers with 62.5i 6.5" Kappas or the component version of that speaker. My current door speakers are Blaupunkt components and will be moved to the rear deck. I am running the stock CD/radio HU on a 2000 Alti and I don't plan on adding an amp, subs, or an aftermarket HU.

I want something to contribute a little more bass in order to keep up with the high and mid range sound. I don't want a box in my trunk. What can I do? I was thinking about an 8" powered tube tucked into the corner of my trunk, but for some reason that feels like the wrong thing to do. I have one lined up $150 installed, but am hesitant to do it.

I need suggestions and advice, please let me hear your thoughts on what to do.

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
Don't put components in the back. It'll screw imaging up, plus sound like shit. Stock rears are fine. Why don't you want a box in the trunk?

·
Registered
692 Posts
we carry infinity basslinks, got one left in stock right now. we carry both types of infinty speakers you are looking at, not sure how many if any we currently have though. let me know if you interested.

·
its a sleeper. really
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want a box in my trunk because I don't want my car to be vandalized. I don't want to be heard down the street, either, so noone will know my car has anything worth stealing.

I have the same rear speakers as in the front right now, except they are busted. I don't really have that image problem you all talk about. Or I am too ignorant to notice.

I will look into the other brands, but if these basslink Infinity's are worth looking into I'll stick with the same brand throughout.

Thanks for the comments, I'll let you know the results later.

PS: Just gotthe car back from Royal Nissan on Airline Hwy. My A/C needed a new compressor, evaporator, etc., and they did it all under warranty without any footdragging and I got away with over $1000 of work for $50!

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
How does a box in your trunk invite vandalism? Not like anyone can see it...thats a problem in stucks and hatch cars, but not sedans. And with a properly set up and dampened system, noise outside the car will be at a minimum.

·
its a sleeper. really
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People will see me put it in... people will hear me riding around... people will ask me why my back seat is always full of shit instead of the trunk... It really is a personal preference not to have a speakerbox in my trunk. I'm not 16 years old.

However, I am glad that you responded as you seem to know alot about this subject. What is your opinion of Infinity Basslink? I've only seen them as 10" powered subs. Since they are Infinity speakers, I assume they come in a billion different variations, too. Do you have any suggestions? I think one [1] ten would be about the amount of bass I want. What about two [2] 8" subs? or two [2] 10's?

·
Registered
692 Posts
i hear basslinks are pretty good. never heard one, but sounds like it would be perfect for what you are trying to do. its 8inches wide by 14.5 inches long so it wont take up much space and itll give you a li ttle bump to your system, more than any component/coaxial system could do thats for sure.

*edit* looks like the one we have right now is commited will have to double check that.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've never heard a basslink so I don't know how they sound. I have seen some pretty good reviews on them.

Another option would just bet to get a single 10 inch sub and box. It wouldn't take up much room at all. The basslink is 14 1/2 L x 12 1/2 W x 8 D. A single 10 box (just looking up some dimensions online at elemental designs) is about 16x8x12(.5 cu ft) to 20x9.5x15 (1 cu ft) Not that much bigger. You could mount the amp to the box if space is a concern and put it in the back of the trunk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A few things.

1.true that infinitys kappas wont shake your doors....unamplified. give em a little juice and they spring to life. I have Kappa perfects in my doors and they will..well if you can only understand em if you got em. haha.

2. Thier Basslink subs have gotten good reviews, and is a good choice if you dont want too much boom,

3.consider amplification of your speakers, it does help.

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
You put a sub box in your car once...do it in your garage, no one will see you. Its unlikely they'll hear you outside, because with your goals in mind, you won't have the music cranked to let everyone know you have a sub in the trunk. Also, a sub box in the trunk can be quite small - mine isn't, thus, I'm stuck with putting stuff in the back seat when needed, but that doesn't lead me to worry that people will automatically assume I have a system in the car. A small box can be put in a corner of the trunk you wouldn't use for cargo anyway.

As far as Basslinks, they seem decent, but I would NEVER pay the price places want for them. I'd go for a good 12" setup, in a sealed box. That's what you want to aim for - a 12" will hit lower notes with more authority, be somewhat louder than a 10" of the same brand/model (assuming both get appropriate power and airspace). 8"s are good, but not for the setup you want. Maybe an eD 12Kv2, if you want to wait a few months to get it. Better choices for small box subs - RE SE, Adire Shiva, IDQ, or even an MTX 6000.

As far as amping components, go for it. Get a decent 2 channel amp and use that for the front component speakers. Don't amp anything in the rear. Other thing you'll want to consider doing - dampen the trunk, to reduce exterior noise levels, and clean the bass up. Also, getting all of this equipment is 100% worthless if you're set on keeping the stock deck. It's shit. With an aftermarket deck, you'll get better sound, the ability to (at least somewhat) change the treble, bass, and subwoofer settings, and have an easier time installing everything. Some people will tell you the stock deck will work fine. It'll work....just not fine. Think of having a nice system with the stock deck as supercharging a 4 cylinder - a nice toy, but it would work MUCH better if you stuck that super on a V8 (or, got the deck to properly run your system, in this case).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts