The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's the deal:

i drive a 98 gxe. 65k miles, auto. car drove home from work fine. was home about 1/2 hour and went to leave. backed out of the driveway ok. put the car in drive and it started to kind of putt. it's shaking, sort of, and the muffler is making a putting/poofing sound. i don't know how else to explain it- i'm a chick, cut me some slack ;)

anyway, it flashed the service engine light for a little while and then it went solid. i drove it around the block and it putted the whole way. the light is still on now but i haven't driven it.

i followed someone's instructions on how to get the trouble codes from the ecu, and it blinked 5 long, small pause, 5 short, small pause, 5 long, small pause... etc. like 5555. so i did a search for trouble codes and found an 0505, which is supposed to mean that everything's okay, but my car is still putting. so i don't think that's it.

what does that mean? and is it okay to at least putt to a mechanic's tomorrow? like i can afford it... i just got laid off too. barf.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
I don't know that the trouble codes mean but that happened to me once and I just did the cheapest trouble shooting I could which was change the sparkplugs and it fixed the problem. It only costs 8 bux to change sparkplugs.

When did you buy the car and do you know the history of the car if you bought it used?

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
i'd check the MAF sensor and check the connections there.

the MAF is where the airbox connects to, and then to the MAF the TB

·
Registered
865 Posts
my car putted once when i let the gas run all the way empty and i filled it up..it stirred up stuff from teh bottome teh tank...ok now though

·
Registered
6 Posts
could be the fuel filter, it went out on my mom's expedition but at about 70,000 miles, it putted, but mostly anything above half throttle, if spark plugs dont fix it and the sensors r ok, try the fuel filter

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
5 short 5 long is EFI... check your injectors (run a fuel cleaner system through, gonna take a tank of gas to do so), check your fuel filter, and fpr.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, this is all great stuff :) thank you!

but, uhh... i don't know what all the acronyms mean.

i put new sparkplugs in at 60k (platinum something or other, bosch?) and i'm only at 65k now.

the gas tank is full- i just filled it yesterday, so that's not it. (don't worry, i'm not THAT dumb. i do keep gas in the car ;) )

if i get fuel injector cleaner, do i really have to run a whole tank of gas through it before the putting might go away? because it just seems that driving it like that isn't a good idea. is it okay to put it in the tank and then just let it sit and idle for awhile?

i bought the car in june 2000 with 36k miles at a dealer. pulled a carfax report and it had one previous owner, an airman at the base 40 miles away.

i'll take it to a mechanic tomorrow. if i had the time i would pull the sparkplugs and take a look at them myself, but i've got to borrow someone's car for the day and that puts me on a tight schedule. hmm.

what's fpr?

·
projected member
919 Posts
twanpd4 said:
i know what ur talkin about mine is doin the same thing and isnt running if anyone knows about what the hell it is tell me, my mechanic is goin to look at tell u what he says
more than likely you need a distributor

·
projected member
919 Posts
daystar said:
here's the deal:

i drive a 98 gxe. 65k miles, auto. car drove home from work fine. was home about 1/2 hour and went to leave. backed out of the driveway ok. put the car in drive and it started to kind of putt. it's shaking, sort of, and the muffler is making a putting/poofing sound. i don't know how else to explain it- i'm a chick, cut me some slack ;)

i would recheck your plugs. look for small cracks in the porcelin.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
the porcelain is the white part on the spark plug. Its the part that has the writing on it. For example, NGK has their logo on the porcelain part of the spark plug. Check all your plug wires while your at it. Look to make sure that all of them are connected good to the distributor. When was the last time you think the spark plug wires were changed. These are pretty expensive.

Before you take it to a mechanic, just go to a discount auto parts and ask for NGK spark plugs and replace them. Like I said, I had a similar problem and the first thing I did was change the spark plugs and voila, problem fixed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update... i went to a mechanic who wanted $76 just to plug the goddamn thing into the computer and pull the code that way.

luckily i had just stopped at auto zone and seen their sign that said they do it for free!

going to a mechanic by yourself when you're female is a big mistake. don't ever let your girlfriend do that. it is a BAD idea.

so anyway, i was driving the car to the shop and it putted for about a mile, and the light came back on, then it suddenly started acting normal. go figure. it was acting normal for some time. so i took it to auto zone and they pulled a 0302, which is a misfire in the 2nd cylinder.

so, either a bad plug or bad wire. easy enough. replaced the plug and everything seems to be fine- the light is still on though. do i need to have that reset or will it turn off in a little while? i'm just irritated that i bought $6 plugs 5k miles ago and one of them crapped out. :mad:

so, at least it wasn't something expensive (yet). i got laid off a couple of weeks ago and am collecting unemployment, but it's not very much... and this shop wanted $76? assholes.

you can't squeeze water from a rock.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
NGK plugs are the best plugs to use. If you want to reset your ecu to get rid of that light its easy. There is a right up on how you can do it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts