The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone help me! I put an air filter in my '97 Limited Edition. The original intake tube has a sensor just hanging out in it that messes up my airflow! The car shutters when I stop and keep it in drive..........what should I do with the loose sensor??

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Playa568 said:
Someone help me! I put an air filter in my '97 Limited Edition. The original intake tube has a sensor just hanging out in it that messes up my airflow! The car shutters when I stop and keep it in drive..........what should I do with the loose sensor??
you need to find where the sensor was plugged into and put it back in. You kinda need that for the car to run right. It should go in the intake tube after the mass airflow sensor. It's the ambient temp sensor you're talking about

·
Registered
51 Posts
i did that with my 2000 alty i forgot to put it back in and it cost me 35 bucks for them to get the check engine soon light to go off

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all 1fastaltima, the pic of the guy and the quote about Hondas is priceless. Second of all, the sensor was never unplugged, it's exactly where it was when i took out the airbox----in the black tube that went into the front of the airbox......so the tube has both ends open now, with the sensor in the middle of it.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
still a little confused, but lemme see if i got it..

the sensor is pushed in too far in the tube and is just dangling inside the tube? If so, pull the slack out so that it fits snug in the tube.

It's kinda hard to fix over the computer. Wish i could see it to know exactly.

anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
......O.K..........i hope my altima isn't the only one like this.........before i put in the filter, i removed the airbox. the airbox was connected to the adapter to the left, and connected to the right was the stock black tube. the sensor was attached to the tube from the start to measure the amount of air coming in through the tube i guess. now that the airbox has been replaced with the filter, there's nothing for the tube to connect to. the sensor is still connected to the tube like it was when the car was made.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
aaaaaaaaooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh, i see...

you put on a filter and adapter. Well, then why didn't you just say so?
You need to make a little hole in the rubber part of the filter near the adapter. Plug the sensor in there. Whatever you do, DO NOT get rid of the sensor. Throw the left over tube away with the rest of the stock piping

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
My sensor is not even in the intake system. I just used some zipties and secured it near the intake area. As long as it senses some air movement, its alright. Later

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
1fastaltima said:
aaaaaaaaooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh, i see...

you put on a filter and adapter. Well, then why didn't you just say so?
You need to make a little hole in the rubber part of the filter near the adapter. Plug the sensor in there. Whatever you do, DO NOT get rid of the sensor. Throw the left over tube away with the rest of the stock piping
WHat he said, except for the "throw away" part. If you want to sell/trade your car in a few years to anybody over 20, you'll wanna put things like that back to stock and then sell the parts. I kept my stock intake, struts, springs, and wheels so far, for just that reason.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
kierandill said:

WHat he said, except for the "throw away" part. If you want to sell/trade your car in a few years to anybody over 20, you'll wanna put things like that back to stock and then sell the parts. I kept my stock intake, struts, springs, and wheels so far, for just that reason.
true, but by the time you add the money up to re-install springs and struts again, it's not worth it. That's a $100 install, how much could you sell used springs and struts for? Maybe $250. You're not makin that much off of it. You'd be better leaving it in the car and selling for more to some stupid rich kid. Same goes for all the other stuff.

I have all my stock stuff "just in case." You never know if you're gonna need it. But i'll end up throwin it away before i put it back in to sell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts