The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. The hold down spring retainer pin on my wife 98 Altima broke on one side and the other side is out, now I can't remove the drum because the shoes are stuck and moving with it when I pull, which locks it up. I already opened the bleeder screw in an attempt to put less pressure on the shoes but no luck. I cannot turn the star adjustment wheel either because it is inside. Anybody had this happen? Would removing the wheel bearing assembly help any?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ASHURA said:
the shoes retainer springs are just springs... you push them inward to the car..and as for the top and bottom return springs.. needle nose pliers should do them good.
I can't remove the drum to get to them

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chuck34gboro said:
just start two 12mm bolts in the holes and when it gets stubborn, whack it with a hammer.
the drum will move with the shoes, already tried both, any other ideas?

·
Registered
176 Posts
unfortunately, the only way youcan get them off is to just get mean. use some long 8mm x 1.25mm bolts (I think that's the size...) in the two holes on the front of the drum.. just keep going. you shouldn't really damage anything.. if you do, the spring clip retainer parts are going to be the pieces that break, and they're fairly inexpensive..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ha, you are both right, I did strip the hole threads! and used larger ones! I finally gave up, put the thing back together after picking the broken pieces from inside the drum, drove 4 nerve wracking miles (waiting for the drum to lock up, which it never did!) took it to my mechanic, he charged me 12 bucks to pull out the drum and put the shoes in!!! Should have done this in the first place!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Matt93SE said:
and exactly how did your mechanic get it off?
he works downstairs from my office, I dropped the car went to turn on my computer, came back down and he was already putting the new shoes on. When I asked him, he said "got to play with it a bit man"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts