The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys have mentioned in the past that certain brands of gasoline have given you guys problems. I went to a gas station Wed. night and got 93 octane, as usual. It was Exxon gas. The car started to idle rough last night, but I gave it a little bit of gas, and the problem went away. All day today, the engine has been missing. Very rough idle. Think its the gas? I added gas cleaner and "Octane Boost" to see maybe if it was just bad gas. Of course, I filled the tank up, so it will take a day or two to empty the tank and try another station. Let me know what you guys think.

On the plus side, got my custom catback done. The shop didn't have any 2.25 piping, so we did 2.5. Sounds nice, either way, except for the sputtering because of the miss.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Octane has nothing at all with the quality of the gasoline or the "power" a given amount of gasoline contains. The octane rating is simply a measurement of how easily (at what temperature) gasoline ignites. The higher the rating, the harder it is to ignite. That's why you use high-octane gasoline in high combustion ratio engines, so that the air/fuel mixture doesn't ignite too soon (knocking, pinging). The Altima's engine does not need high-octane gas. In fact it's harder to burn high-octane gas correctly in stock Altima engine.

By the sound of your problem, I would look at your ignition system, plugs, wires, distributor, etc if the fuel cleaner has no effect.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a batch of bad gas before at Exxon and thought my car was really messed up out of the blue. Rough Idle, stalling, etc. At the next fill up, the problem went away permanently. I think its the gas! Good luck.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really hope its the gas...just a bad batch..........my dad wants me to change the cap/rotor/plugs/wires, but he doesn't wanna pay for it! I just did this three months ago, so I may just go ahead and change the plugs, but thats it. More on this tomorrow.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kenshi said:
Aftermaket rotor and cap?
Actually, when I did the tune-up, the cap and rotor were from NAPA. 2 days later, the car would die between gears, so I went back to my mechanic and had him remove the NAPA ones and I put OEM ones on instead. Car has run flawlessly until this happened. I am going to get my plugs in the morning (its amazing, no one carries NGK platinums around here....they have to get them from a warehouse) and switch them out.

I am assuming you guys are gapped at .044? If anything different would help, let me know please!

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have added octance boost, STP gas line cleaner, and fuel injection cleaner. Still no luck. Oh well, just gonna burn the gas off and go from there.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, someone explain this:

I have left my car on while at work the last two days. I took my spare key, left the car running, locked the doors, and watched the car. I wanted to burn off all the fuel I could. So about 2 hours after starting to work, I check the car, and the miss is gone. Do you guys think it was the fuel, because I am down to almost 1/4 a tank after having this start with a full tank Friday. Car ran great tonight.

I am still gonna do a complete tune-up tomorrow, even though I did one 3 months ago. good idea?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts