The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the starter in my 2000 Altima and can't seem to locate the upper bolt. I got one bolt out yesterday -- I think this is the lower bolt. Can anyone help me find the upper bolt? It doesn't seem to be where I would expect it to be.

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
3,753 Posts
You need to remove the wire terminal from the starter to allow the starter to be removed.

Even when both bolts are removed from starter, if the power wire is still connected to the starter it pretty much holds it in it's place. After you remove the wire, wiggle it out from the bottom and you should be able to remove it.

Your pics aren't really helping too much but it looks like you have the right idea and are removing the correct bolts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got it out that day. I removed both bolts and the power wire, but it was rusted on. I hit it with a rubber mallet and it came loose

after I got it out I noticed that the starter that RockAuto suggested had 11 teeth and the one I took out had 8 teeth. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker, but I ended up down at Autozone and got a Duralast one with 8 teeth to match the one that came out.

It works, but makes a different sound than the stock starter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts