The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GoTosLeepb!tcl-I
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been neglecting my squeeking alternator belt and it finally had enough and snapped. im not shure what path the belt traveled through. where can i find somethin that will show me how to change my belt. is it hard? i already checked the chilton manual but my belts look more like those on the 240 than on the altima. i already did a search. my poor cars a daily driver i need her back. oh yeah its a 98. is it the same as first gens? my manual is for 240s and altimas 94-98

·
588 Posts
i have the same manualthe belt route is not hte one for the altima, it says altima but thats not the route on the second gen, the route is the one of the 240sx in the chilton manual, if u need me to scan it let me know

·
GoTosLeepb!tcl-I
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for clarifying but my manual already has the pic so i dont need a scan. but now what do i have to go through to put the belt on. am i gonna have to go under my car? seems so. do i need to take my alternator off? how hard is this job? anybody know?

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Not hard. No u dont have to take the alt. off. You do have to loosen the alt. mounting bolts. There is a 12mm bolt on the front of the alt. that is threaded into another longer 12mm. bolt. Loosen the short bolt then loosen the long bolt. The alt should tip back and allow you to remove the belt.

·
GoTosLeepb!tcl-I
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thatll get it off the alternator but then its also connected to the two hard to reach pulleys in the bottom and back of the engine. and it looks like im gonna also have to remove the smaller belt in the bottom to be able to put the belt on the bottom pulley. :(

·
Banned
117 Posts
Hey man, no worries. I ve changed both belts on my 95 Altima not long ago.
Here is how it's done. I worked as a mechanic and did it on break, in the shop, but u can do it in ur back yard.

First, the configuration is the same for first gen and for second -98.

You will have to get under the car, to remove the plastic dust shiled, there is about 9 10mm bolts. There are two belts all together. I dont remember exactly but all of them turn: alternator, water pump, power steering, crankshaft pulley, and stationary pulley. You do have to take the outer belt off to take off the one that's behind it.

To get the tention off from the out belt , u loosed the bolt, that is near the pulley, underneath, it's about 12 or 13mm, u just turn it about 2 turns. Then u start turning long 10mm bolt, loosening it, it will move this little pulley allowing to get the tention off. So from the bottom u take one belt, i think it moves power steering only. and the other one, bigger belt - moves water pump and alternator.

Ok, u took this little one off. Now u can take the bigger one off.
Like guys said in upper responses, u got to loosen the alternator mounting bolts. There is one about 14mm on the bottom of the alternator, and the other two are same design that u turn to looses the tention, it's a longer bolt and a biger one perpendicular to it, that holds the longer one from turning. It's a way of adjusting the belts. So , again, u loosen the one under the alternator, and then this two on top, that will let alternator to move back and forth easily. So now u just take the belt off of it.

I replaced both at the same time, as my older ones had little cracks. Belts cost about $8 each at autozone, and quality of it is just as good as u would need. It will last u for years if u adjust it properly and ur pulleys are smooth.

Good luck. If anything else - ask me here or e-mail

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
When I changed my pulley, I could NOT get the alt adjuster to work to I just pulled it loose, but could never get it to work right to tighten the belts again, had to use a bar to pry it out enough.
There's a metal piece the bolt is angled against to adjust the belt tension but I couldn't get it to work, any ideas?
Anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
did u loosen the 2 bolts on the bottom of the alternator?

·
GoTosLeepb!tcl-I
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everybody for their help. i was able to replace both belts today. but after i tightened and then tried to loosen and then tightened again the larger belt kept on screaming. my friend from strauss said i just need some belt dressing. my luck today is sunday and everything closed before i could get any. my belt is also smoking but the same friend said that its normal and its just breakiing in. is that true?

·
Banned
117 Posts
No way! Belt should not be smoking. It does not break in.!
You really needed to find a cause - why your belt broke!
Usually some of the pulleys lock up. Maybe AC, maybe alternator, even water pump pulley could. Take all belts off, and turn all pullesy with ur hand - all of them should spin easily, with no noise.
Power steering might feel a little harder - it's a pump.

Aslo don't overtighten the belts - you can burn the bearing prematurly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts