The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal.....went out to start the car today(97), and nothing happened. All my electricals work, lights, stereo, etc, but no turn over. I don't think it's the battery or the starter, as I replaced the starter and battery not to long ago. I'm lost on what it could be, any ideas on diagnosis/repair procedure? Oh, the car is bone stock, no mods. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
It's probably the starter... Remanufactured starters often like to die. I'm on starter #3. Quite often, when they go, they GO. No warning, no "that didn't start too well today", they just die. If you still have your receipt just take it back and get another. It should have a 1 yr warranty on it.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Oh, and as far as diagnosis... if you have a 5-spd, try push starting the car. If you can push start it, then it's most likely starter related. Check the connections on the battery and the starter and be sure everything is making good contact. Can you hear the starter click when you try to start it?

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, when I try to start it, I hear a click and a humming. As far as taking the starter back, I got in Texas, and now reside in Va. Luckily I got it at Nissan, so it should hold if that is the case. I called a tech at the local Nissan dealership, and he said it was probably my oil distributor being shot, resulting in a 454.00 part charge if that is the case. Also possible fuel pump issues?

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
lol..How does he make a fuel pump or distributer out of the car not turning over. That's why you stay away from the dealership. The problem is either with one of the wires going to the starter or the starter itself. The distributer and fuel pump have absolutely nothing to do with this problem.

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THe horn is weak as is, hasn't sounded right for a long time....The guy at the dealership said something about the trasnsistors and ignitors being shot......Makes me think he was talking about the part that sits to the right side of the head, where the black wires hook into(which is also where the click and hum came from). A relative of mine topped off the oil, and said he'd push start me cause he thinks there might be a sensor that cuts off when the oil gets to low, and it needs to be tripped back by having the oil circulate through the system. Plainly I need engine knowledge, or better yet a FSM, but with all the moving I've been doing, I haven't been able to get either, so bare with me.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
Go outside and with the head of a screwdriver, TAP on the stater itself. It MAY start. This trick worked on my old Grand Prix.

·
Registered
318 Posts
LOL remember the dealer does the worst job with the best parts and shoot for a moment i thought you had an auto and was going to say try to nug the shifter around in P LOL i get that problem some thimes but your 5speed and it does sound like the starter

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, just got back from trying the push start method...failure...I'm starting to agree with you now, it has to be the starter....Will give the screwdriver trick a try.

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, update...Decided the mass was right, starter's gone...Unfortunately I'm a month past the warranty expiration(should have been my first clue, huh). So I'm gonna go get a starter...ok, can someone PLEASE pass me a link, or a write up on how to put one in? I don't trust Hayned or Chilton's to much, so I'd prefer instructions from people who own the car.....Thanks a lot in advance

·
SUCK MY HAIRLESS GONADS!
3,292 Posts
get a quality part from your dealership. don't go for remanufacted parts. 80% of the time the fail before they should. good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I work for a parts store. We've gotten a mass influx of starter returns the past week or so. I'm assuming it's a bad batch, cuz most of them were the same part # (for a GM 4.3 engine) Anyway, it might not be a good time of year to go with a reman. Get a new one from the dealer, my starter went bad 2-3 years ago, had them replace it under warranty and it still works fine....well at least it did in april when I got rid of the car

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update time....Alright, been a few weeks, but finally got the problem fixed. After all the mess I went through, it turned out to be nothing more than a faulty starter switch. Figures it would be something as simple and stupid as that....Oh well, she's alive again and ready to have some repairs, and a build up done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts