The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. im new to this board and to altimas as well. my girlfriend just got a 1996 altima gxe. its cool. but her engine light came on and im wondering if theres a way to check the codes or something. i remember on my old neon (thank god i got rid of that piece) you click the ignition on-off-on-off-on and then it flashed you some codes. is there a similar way to do this with the altima? and where can i find a list of codes that tells me whats wrong with it?

thank you all, any help would be much appreciated.

·
NISSANCLUB.COM
6,244 Posts
Yeah, do a search , it could be so many things. Have you tried resetting the ecu, could be a gremlin code. Try resetting the ecu first and seeing if it will come back.

·
4,020 Posts
Do a search on codes in FAQ. Their is some info in there about checking and decoding. If your not a big DYIer go buy yourself a simple Haynes manual from the store for $15...it's a good simple investment. Otherwise if you want to go all out, go buy yourself a FSM (factory service manual) they are wonders for DYIers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i cant find anything on how to actually check for the codes. i found codes, but i dont know how to check for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, the code came up 6 long flashes, 5 short. thats 65 right?
well according to http://members.tripod.com/RGAZ/altimacodes.htm

its a cylinder 4 misfire. those codes are for 96 altimas right?

does anyone know an easy fix for cylinder 4 misfire? im thinking that some fresh spark plugs and wires would solve the problem. maybe new fuel injectors?

thanks for the help

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Reset and continue driving. If the code comes back there is more testing to do. More than likey it's a one time mishap but if it returns then you might have to do some ignition system inspections.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
2,594 Posts
kierandill said:
Only happens to old AMCs....

aahahahahahaha. nice.

a gremlin code is a random code that pops up because the moon wasn't aligned, it fixed itself afterward, whatever. but once clearing it is never seen again and the car runs fine.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Man....I wish my girlfriend came with one of those.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts