The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a bad weekend working on my son's 2003 Altima. Needed to change the oxygen sensor and in doing so must have hit the radiator causing it to crack. Then I needed to replace the driver's side rear door handle that I had already replaced last spring. I put the new handle in and forgot to insert the rod attached to the handle into place on the latch. I screwed the latch back in and was about to put the panel back on. Had to close the door for a second and now it won't unlock, no matter if I pull on the handle from the inside or outside. I've pulled on the cable and it won't unlatch the door.:banghead: Now I don't know how to get the door open to get the rod put back into the latch and get the damn door fixed! I hope somebody can help or you may be reading about me in the papers.:bonk:

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
So if I understand correctly the door is shut but without the interior panel installed. The outer handle is not connected via the rod and so is useless.

You cannot open door.

That would seem to infer that the latching mechanism is in locked position. You should be able to recover by temporarily reconnecting the two cables to the interior door lever mechanism on the interior panel. Use it to unlock then unmatched the mechanism. You may need to remove the rear seat cushion to have enough room to get the rear door cover in close enough to connect the cables. There are two latches between the seat and the carpeting centred on the foot wells.

If that doesn't do it then I suppose it is possible that the position of the lever that the rod would normally attach to is such that it is preventing other mechanical inputs from working. If that is the case you will have to remove the door plastic sheeting and do some blind reach and manipulate to correct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts