The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I recently changed the motor in my 2002 nissan altima 3.5. It fired up just fine and ran great for about 20 minutes while we filled up the remaining fluids. When I got in the car to press the gas it sounded like it was bogging out. It would not go past 2500rpm just make bogging sounds and eventually stalled. From there on every time I started it it got harder to start. So frustrated I left it for the night and when I came out in the morning I attempted to start it again and it won't go at all unless I floor the gas and even then it only starts up for about 1 second and stalls. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! P.s. I did have some codes regarding the throttle control so I changed the throttle body and drive by wire gas pedal.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Since you replaced the motor, did you use all your existing accessories from the old motor such as all the sensors, MAF and throttle body? If not, you may have a bad component. At this point it's best to perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. If there are any fault codes, post the actual code here on the forum.

When replacing/disconnecting the throttle valve assembly, several relearn procedures need to be performed:
- Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
- Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
- Idle Air Volume Learning

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did use all the old components and I did have some codes and I replaced the corresponding parts but I still continue to have this problem. The spark plugs are soaked with gas so I'm thinking maybe the regulator on the pump is shot?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
What rogoman said ^^. Did you do all the relearns?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't do the relearn without it running because it needs to be at operating temperature or so I've read..it's really got me stumped!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Disconnect the battery overnight, and then reconnect and start testing again in the morning.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I did use all the old components and I did have some codes and I replaced the corresponding parts but I still continue to have this problem. The spark plugs are soaked with gas so I'm thinking maybe the regulator on the pump is shot?
It would be good to check the static fuel pressure at this time without starting the engine; spec: 51 psi. If the pressure is OK, then you may have leaking injectors. You may want to use the old injectors in your new motor.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
lol, I never did the relearn when replacing/disconnecting the TB. This was after the huge job of replacing the timing chains. I doubt that is it. Sounds like a MAF or a vac leak the size of a semi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ya I'll check my vac lines again but you'd think that it would have been acting up right from the start? I do have some huge positive pressure coming out of the crank case but I'm not sure how normal that is for these engines. Also where would you recommend tying into the fuel lines? I can't seem to find a shrader valve so I assume I'm going to have to buy an adapter for my guage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And in regards to the MAF I think it's working because when I had the intake 'ducting' apart it was throwing codes and when I put them back together it wasn't throwing any so I'm assuming it's working fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts