The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I have over 200,000 miles on my 93 GLE. Has been dripping oil for the past 20,000 miles and getting worse.

I am leaking from the following places.

1. Distributor
2. Front Cover
3. Front Crank Seal
4. Rear Crank Seal I think(coming from the junction of the engine to the tranny)

I just tried 2 cans of CD-1 engine leak seal (drove 1000 miles). Changed the oil with Castrol GTX 20w-50 for high mileage engines...

Still getting drips....

Options...

1. Junk the car.. (not an option for me. The car is in Awesome shape)
2. Have the Dealer RAPE me and fix them all for probably $1000-$2000 (More than the car is worth in book value)
3. Do it myself.

I am seriously considering pulling the engine out and making all the repairs. I understand it has to be pulled to reach the rear crank seal anyway.

Will the motor come out easily from the top with a cherry picker? Has anyone pulled their motor before? How hard is it? Is it worth pulling to do the seals? Even if I had to buy an air compressor, tools and a cherry picker..It would cost less than $1000... The parts needed fix the leaks would cost less than $50

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Well Chuck,
How's it run? You might just wanna think about replacing it with a newer/lower mileage engine for about the same cost. Not that hard of a swap. If you've got the skill to do the work yourself then you should. However aside from the rear crank seal, you could replace those gaskets in an hour or two.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jaltima said:
Well Chuck,
How's it run? You might just wanna think about replacing it with a newer/lower mileage engine for about the same cost. Not that hard of a swap. If you've got the skill to do the work yourself then you should. However aside from the rear crank seal, you could replace those gaskets in an hour or two.
Engine runs Awesome.... She gets to redline almost every day...does not burn a drop of oil and ildes smooth as a babys ass... :)

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Take the weekend and invite some buddies over. I've always got a buddy who knows something in the area I'm working on. If all else fails, look for a small town shop or somewhere where they won't take you for a ride.

·
East Los Customs
253 Posts
damn dude I'm sorry to hear about your problems. you should really consider finding you a used lower mileage engine, though. you figure if you're having all those leaks now whats makes you think that other stuff won't go wrong after you fix it. it will probably run you about the same if not less money wise, and it will save you a headache as well. anyway best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts