The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
22,052 Posts
I think for an auto you can put the car in reverse and then have a buddy hold the brake pedal down. You may not need to put it in reverse....I can't remember.

You'll need a nice big breaker bar on your socket wrench. That bolt is on very tightly. If you have access to air tools, I would highly recommend using them. If not, look for a friend to hold the brake and a long piece of pipe.

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Didn't someone that was doing this use some kind of pipe, like a lead pipe and positioned the pipe so that when the car cranked, the pulley would put a downward pressure on the pipe? So what they did was position that pipe in the pulley and against the ground. Cranked the car once(DO NOT START CAR!!) and there you go. A dangerous way to do it, but apparently it was highly effective.

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
^ My thoughts exactly, I just thought I'd throw it out there so nobody was dumb enough to try it.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Thats how I do all Subarus !! pipe on a breaker bar , thick blanket on the fenderwell and crank it .... For an Altima ??? That would work , but you wouldnt be able to tighten the new one .... You need an air gun , or a pulley holder chain wrench .... ( use a chunk of the old belt so it doest destroy the pulley !! )

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
ok, this is what i did. i took a small screwdriver and jammed the upper part of the pulley to the little opening right above it. the wrench was in a position where i couldn't get enough force on it to move the bolt so i let the wrench handle drop all the way down, and then took an old leather belt and slipped it behind the wrench handle. soo easy to loosen the bolt that way. gives u a better angle on the bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts