The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i installed my pulley about 3 weeks ago and there was a squealing sound when i first started my car up. i did a search and people say that its probably the idler pulley that is squealing. so yesterday i took the ider pulley off, put some antisieze on it and then started her up again. and the squealing is still there. anyone got any other ideas as to what the problem is? i was gonna get some belt dressing but the guy at pep boys said that it most likely isn't the belt and that it wouldnt help.

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no cory, i didn't get my greasy hands all over the belts. and i'm pretty sure that the belts are routed correctly. no power loss or anything of that nature. i'll check the diagram in the manual and check the belt route when i get home. it sounds like a metal on metal squeal. not a real belt squeal.

·
502 Posts
make sure the tension is ok. don't forget to check the A/C belt also. i had a similar problem after the pulley install and that was it.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Did you make sure the pulley isnt contacting the front cover , I had to grind the cover in a couple places to make it clear !!! If it is contacting it , it could destroy the cover or the pulley !!!

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
asleepaltima said:
i get the distinct impression that everything shawn says is in a complete rush, lol
Why you say that ??

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts
yes, if it's a continuous sound, and it's really LOUD, i'm gonna go with the need to grind timing chain cover down option possibly. otherwise, tighten your belt.

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SHAWN said:
Did you make sure the pulley isnt contacting the front cover , I had to grind the cover in a couple places to make it clear !!! If it is contacting it , it could destroy the cover or the pulley !!!
the squealing is only when the car starts. afterwards, its quiet as hell. and i don't think i need to grind anything down because i have a 2nd gen. i'll try retightening everything but i don't think that'll work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts