The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DJ QUIK
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electrical's been fucking up alot lately. It started with when the car is not on but the acc is on and I press the brake the dome light will dim dramatically and the radio will turn off for a moment then back on. Then when I am driving and put on the brake or turn signal the radio turns off. Now I stopped my car and when I went out to start it it just clicks really fast and the gauge lights blink really fast with the clicks. Please help!

·
Faster than your Altima.
373 Posts
Maybe the Alternator is going bad.:confused:

·
DJ QUIK
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well. i just got back from autozone and the alternator came up fine on their test, I cleaned all my connections before putting the new battery in a couple weeks ago. I used the multimeter on the battery and the alternator when they were running and they were both putting out good output.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
781 Posts
I think you have a system ground somewhere... and the clicking is caused by the breaker opening, then re-closing... maybe somewhere in the electrical systems of your brakes, or in the turn-signal harness.

·
DJ QUIK
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well. more bad news. When i got it to start, after charging the battery, I drove it down the street. My radio was not even turning on at this point when it started stuttering like the alternator was shot. I jumped it and drove it home, and on the way home my tach and speedo wasn't working anymore! I charged the battery again and I went to my tunk to get some tools and I noticed the trunk light came on, and when I set my alarm the interior lights blinked like usual. well when i turned on the car none of the interior lights worked. I turned on my lights and they worked fine but nothing in the interior would turn on except the leds for the air conditioning but the blower for the a/c didn't work either. Then after a few minutes running it started to die slowly. I am sooooooooo aggrevated! I know I'm going to have to end up paying some auto electric shop to fix this and that's going to cost a grip! FUCK!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Your alternator is shot. Just because the store says it works doesn't mean it does. They do not a "Load" test on the alternator. I cannot explain it, but that's what the dealer does when the test electrical components like the alternator and the battery. They put a load on the piece, and then it will show if it really works or if it fails.

Try a new alternator. If you were smart, you got a lifetime warranty.

·
DJ QUIK
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
djsassan said:
Your alternator is shot. Just because the store says it works doesn't mean it does. They do not a "Load" test on the alternator. I cannot explain it, but that's what the dealer does when the test electrical components like the alternator and the battery. They put a load on the piece, and then it will show if it really works or if it fails.

Try a new alternator. If you were smart, you got a lifetime warranty.
no, they did a load test, I watched them do it. and i tested the alternator with my multimeter when it was running and it was putting out 14.5 volts. I did get the lifetime warranty, but i will have to see what i can come up with tomorrow.

·
Faster than your Altima.
373 Posts
good luck. I hope it dont cost u alot.

·
Banned
0 Posts
hidaltima said:

no, they did a load test, I watched them do it. and i tested the alternator with my multimeter when it was running and it was putting out 14.5 volts. I did get the lifetime warranty, but i will have to see what i can come up with tomorrow.
I was told that the car parts store load test is not the same as the one a dealer does:confused: :confused: If you have a lifetime warranty, swap that bitch out and see what happens.

·
DJ QUIK
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
djsassan said:

I was told that the car parts store load test is not the same as the one a dealer does:confused: :confused: If you have a lifetime warranty, swap that bitch out and see what happens.
sigh, i hate this shit. I will be going to autozone tomorrow to pick up a new one and we'll see what happens. it couldnt hurt, i can get the alternator out and back in in under 3 minutes now.

·
DO'H
452 Posts
umm just out of curiosity how long ago DID you start having problems? did you install something new on the car or did this just start out of nowhere? you said that you just had a new alternator installed 5 months ago was it already doing that or did it start after cause if it did start after something might me screwy there a wire could have come loose or something and last but not least (and i know this is stupid) but have you made sure that it is the correct alternator for the car? i know this is dumb but sometimes you go over 30 different things and then you look at it one more time and it was a stupid little thing that was causing all the ruckus. also did you check all the fuses?

·
VTEC Killa!
49 Posts
BATTERY!!!

Mine did the same thing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.