The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For some reason, my windshield wipers will not turn off. In fact, they came on by themselves. I can set them to fast or medium, but not slow or off.
2003 Altima
Any ideas?

--- Update ---

Resolution: - it ended up being a fuse that blew.

·
Super Modder
5,296 Posts
I just checked the wiper system in the manual, and it is not easy to diagnose. My first guess would be something shorted inside of the switch on the column, but there are some relays and other components in the system as well. It is also tied into the computer as well. To get the darn thing to stop for the time being, try pulling the fuse.

·
Second to none
1,451 Posts
hmm...interesting
maybe the stalk needs to be replaced? wipers shouldn't come on randomly unless there is a current going through where its supposed to go...maybe wire in the stalk are touching each other and caused the wipers to go?
never heard of such case

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...
I don't have the FSM on this computer. Does anyone know which fuse I can pull, and if the wipers are on their own fuse or if it's shared with something else?

Thanks

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I went out and poked around before I had a chance to read these responses. The 10A fuse was in the larger box on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Still no idea what it could be, though.
I hope to find out what the problem is soon, but it looks like I might have to take it to the stealer to really find out what is wrong. I also have a CEL that I haven't checked, too.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I have been away from home so I haven't had time to follow up.

Another suggestion I got was to put the fuse back and pull the stalk from the steering column and see if the wipers are still on. If so, then the stalk is what needs to be replaced. Does that sound right to anyone else?

·
Super Modder
5,296 Posts
Hey, I have been away from home so I haven't had time to follow up.

Another suggestion I got was to put the fuse back and pull the stalk from the steering column and see if the wipers are still on. If so, then the stalk is what needs to be replaced. Does that sound right to anyone else?
Nope...If you pull the stalk and the wipers stay on, it is something other than the stalk(relay, motor...) If you pull it and they go off, then I would say the stalk is to blame.

The diagrams that I looked at showed the fuse you pulled and the one under the dash as well. I believe the one under the dash is for just the switch portion. Might try replacing the original you pulled, and pull the other one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For some reason, my windshield wipers will not turn off. In fact, they came on by themselves. I can set them to fast or medium, but not slow or off.
2003 Altima
Any ideas?

--- Update ---

Resolution: - it ended up being a fuse that blew.
Which fuse blew? My daughter's 06 Sentra is having the same issue. I pulled the #25 20amp fuse, but the fuse was fine. Is there a 2nd one? Or is this most likely to be a wiper motor that has lost it's home position?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,740 Posts
Sounds like the 'auto-return' switch inside the wiper transmission is broken to the ON position. See page 5 of the FSM-WW section.

If you pull the stalk switch temporary and it behaves...then the stalk is the problem, if it keeps going, then there is something funky going on in the wiper motor itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts