The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to figure out which wires are ground and ignition on my friend's car, I'm installing his radio

·
Dad
316 Posts
not sure if this is what you are asking, but you should be using the 12 vdc range. if it doesn't say dc look for a solid line with dots above it, not the wavy line (usually ac) or the horse shoe shaped symbol (ohm's)

·
Registered
12 Posts
95_XE said:
I have this multimeter, but I don't know which setting to use for my car. I had it on the wrong one before and I blew a fuse. Which one should I set it on?

Please dont take offense at this, but as Service Engineer of 20 yrs or so I should warn you that if you dont know what your doing please don't do it.....you could hurt yourself, others or even cause expensive damage....just a little advice

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
i always feel like an idiot when I'm using a multi meter. I'm glad I have friends that are more electrically inclined than me.
Jay

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Re: Re: help with multimeter

Your Worst Nightmare said:

Please dont take offense at this, but as Service Engineer of 20 yrs or so I should warn you that if you dont know what your doing please don't do it.....you could hurt yourself, others or even cause expensive damage....just a little advice
I am in complete agreement here, if you don't know which range to use for each purpose, you'll need a schematic first. You need experience figuring out wiring without a schematic.

·
Remember Me?
1,549 Posts
QUOTE:
"if you dont know what your doing please don't do it....."

They taught me that in Tech school I also learned another good one..."if its not broke, dont fix it"

·
Dad
316 Posts
installdoctor.com lists the color codes for most vehicles factory wiring so you might check there too.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
black is usually ground and I think in the altimas, white is ignition, but dont go screwin around wit stuff if you dont know what the hizzel you are doing... at times like this, i am reminded of gone in 60 seconds: "...You cant drive, hell I cant swim, but you know what I do? I keep my black azz outta the pool..."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts