The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a weird buzzing sound coming from the driver's side of the motor. Actually in the back or under the air filter area. Maybe fuel area? To describe it, it sounds like an buzzing sound that a really old Chevy would make when the power steering fluid is low. I KNOW that's the not the issue because 1) Its a 3.5 Nissan and 2) Its the back of the motor.

It changes pitch with engine speed, not movement speed (so likely not transmission). The car did hesitate a little from a traffic light, but not much.

I tried a few file extensions but I cannot upload the video (for sound).

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,675 Posts
I think your spidey sense may be right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang. Lie to me! Tell me it's nothing! Just a fast oil change! I am so upset. I know... Yes, it lasted 389,658 miles, but I wanted to hit 500,000!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,675 Posts
Dude, you're already a legend getting 390K miles on a CVT.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow! Awesome!
Could it be the timing chain tensioner? I know it is in the opposite side that you describe but just to consider.

With the mileage you have, I would have an oil analysis (Blackstone labs). Probably not gonna solve this exact issue but it's good to know and maybe you can detect something unusual.

Just curious, how many times (and what mileage) did you change water pump and timing chain related parts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey FX-32. OK, sit down. I never changed the water pump. Or timing chain. You read that correctly. Never.

I have determined, this is 100% trans related. The car barely moves. When it does, I hit 4,000 RPMs at 40 MPH. And it is screaming like my 5 year old granddaughter on a giant slide at the water park.

I would drive the car to work and back at 60 to 65 MPH on cruise control for 72 miles each way. I changed the oil at 3k miles after it hit 250k. Only used Mobil 1. And WIX or Bosch filters. Always used NGK plugs/etc. Replaced the hubs/bearings at 200k, 300k and was going to replace them at 400k.

Also, used only Nissan OEM CVT fluid when I changed it. What sucks is that Nissan always said to only change the fluid, never anything about a filter, like it didn't have one. I never changed the trans filter. After trying to find what was making the buzzing (on YouTube) guys were saying if it starts to whine, change the fluid AND filter. Sh**. I never heard the buzzing, thanks to my Bose Stereo that came with it. Just driving along happy, totally oblivious to the screaming noise. Luckily, made it to the driveway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Considering it. We are actually going to purchase a new car today. Next week I am going to get it towed to a local mechanic (who is actually trustworthy to not rip anyone off) to see what he thinks.

Before that, I am going to drop the pan to look for little metal clips that indicate a belt flying apart. But, since it actually does move, I am wondering if it is those screens in the valve body that are clogged and the noise is because fluid is not making it's way into the front of the trans and it's running dry. What is sounds like is teeth of a gear are barely touching another piece of metal. It's a buzz/zingzing/whining noise.

What's a drag is I just bought the left CV/Axle, a set of NGK plugs, all the tie-rods and boots, a set of front and back bearings/hubs. Was going to spend a nice fall-like Sunday with games on the radio and wrenches in hand. When I got done, celebrate with a dozen or so wings, with an ice cold one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts