The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am at lost here. My initial issue is that fuel gauge is showing half tank while tank is full and when I checked OBD code, it was P0462 so thought fuel pump (aka sending unit) went bad.

I have replaced entire fuel pump twice. And then after more research people were saying that it could be instrument cluster because its known issue for 2006 altima so I bought used one (close mileages) and replaced it today and its same issue. Checked fuel pump connector and all looks good. Checked voltage between blue/green and ground and its 11.4v DC while key is in ON (engine not started) and then if I jumper it to ground, the fuel gauge is rising to full fine. Both black wire of fuel pump connector has solid ground as well. I have checked original nissan fuel pump resistance while floater is up and down its perfectly within range so I thought its not fuel pump issue and so I went with cluster replacement.

When I put new (used one) cluster, and checked OBD code, I saw three code P0183, P0462 and P0463 and I was able to clear two except P0462.

I am totally at lost. Please help.

Thanks lot

·
Registered
63 Posts
You will need the check the wiring for the fuel sensor. You could even have a rodent problem, been there done that, they chew the insulation on the wiring and can cause fault codes. You can go to the nicoclub website and find a shop manual that may help you figure out the problem, they usually have a step by step trouble shooting section for electrical problems .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need the check the wiring for the fuel sensor. You could even have a rodent problem, been there done that, they chew the insulation on the wiring and can cause fault codes. You can go to the nicoclub website and find a shop manual that may help you figure out the problem, they usually have a step by step trouble shooting section for electrical problems .
That's negative, zero rodent issue. Checked connector pins, black has continuity with ground/vehicle frame, the voltage checked out fine, voltage between blue/green pin and ground checked out fine, fuel gauge needle is going up and down when connect voltage pin to ground.

I have complete service manual of my car. Any specific section you suggest?

Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
'Error Code P0462 is defined as Fuel level Sensor Circuit Low Input...'

You can have continuity and voltage and still be in error if you haven't checked for exact resistances EVERYWHERE.

You have fuel module and cluster and some wire. All 3 CANNOT be good and still have the problem meaning look closer at the work. The system reads resistance at the pump module resistor card and any more in the wiring anywhere adds to mess up your reading to artificially low in your case.

There has to be a computer involved to be able to post a code and so there will be a connection somewhere to read that voltage, if said part is defective to suck up or short some of the voltage you could have a problem there too. The service manual should show that tie in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'Error Code P0462 is defined as Fuel level Sensor Circuit Low Input...'

You can have continuity and voltage and still be in error if you haven't checked for exact resistances EVERYWHERE.

You have fuel module and cluster and some wire. All 3 CANNOT be good and still have the problem meaning look closer at the work. The system reads resistance at the pump module resistor card and any more in the wiring anywhere adds to mess up your reading to artificially low in your case.

There has to be a computer involved to be able to post a code and so there will be a connection somewhere to read that voltage, if said part is defective to suck up or short some of the voltage you could have a problem there too. The service manual should show that tie in.
So, I still have original nissan pump and I measured resistance and its 5-81 ohm, because of that code I removed nissan pump and put one from amazon. So it seems to me that my nissan fuel pump is fine. You think floater could be an issue? I don't think so because that won't throw P0462 code. I had remote starter installed by best buy back around nov 2018, I don't think that can cause issue 2-3 years later. On my quest I also had same remote started installed in same month but I don't have issue on my 2004 quest so I am pretty sure this P0462 has anything to do with remote starter.

Appreciate your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts