The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 05 maxima auto we bought a couple months ago with 160k miles and yesterday in town it just stopped going. Slip light and tcs light came on, and service engine light has been on for catalytic converter. The car stopped responding the gas pedal was doing nothing so we shut it off, waited a second and cranked it back. Lights went away besides ses light and ran fine for a while then did the same thing. It happens at random times but I can replicate it any time by getting on the gas a little bit. Could the catalytic converter be my problem or is it something more?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
If your pedal stops responding, the engine is being shutdown by the ECU. One common cause of this is the alternator overcharging the battery. Next time it happens, try this...turn on headlights, foglights, rear defrost, AC with med fan speed, electric seat heat...whatever you have that is electrically power hungry. If it stops happening, then you need a new alternator (and probably a new battery unless you fix this quickly). YOu should also check the ground strap from the battery -ve to the engine as there seems to be a correlation between this and this particular failure of the regulator in the alternator).

For more details , check my Alternator and Bad Ground links in my .sig below. Again these were for Altimas...but the Max isn't so wildly different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks I'll go try that, the engine idles at 1000 rpms when it happens every shop I've talked to tells me it's my transmission so no way I'm taking it in, there just money hungry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK just tried it... no luck it still does it even if I cut everything I can possibly think of on and then start the car it still does it. If I get an obd2 and hook it up when it does that will that tell me the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your pedal stops responding, the engine is being shutdown by the ECU. One common cause of this is the alternator overcharging the battery. Next time it happens, try this...turn on headlights, foglights, rear defrost, AC with med fan speed, electric seat heat...whatever you have that is electrically power hungry. If it stops happening, then you need a new alternator (and probably a new battery unless you fix this quickly). YOu should also check the ground strap from the battery -ve to the engine as there seems to be a correlation between this and this particular failure of the regulator in the alternator).

For more details , check my Alternator and Bad Ground links in my .sig below. Again these were for Altimas...but the Max isn't so wildly different.
Did like you said with no avail, is there another way to check it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK the guy at auto zone didn't read all my codes, I erased all the codes and replicated the problem the codes I got were p1229 confirmed, sensor power circuit and p1446 vent control valve pending it was confirmed before I erased them and pending the two times afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts