The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this little thing since my SE was new. Say you are driving along at pretty much neutral throttle, when you just need a little more power. So you ease into the throttle (that's tip-in), and just as you do, the engine hesitates for just a second, then begins to accelerate the car.

Another variation of this is if you are using cruise control and start to add throttle, there is a noticable drop in power before the engine catches.

Has anyone on this forum had either of these anomolies? Think it could be linked to the drive-by-wire throttle? Or perhaps the variable cam timing?

Paul V
2002 Alty SE
Silver/Charcoal
214CID V6
Manual Trans

·
Registered
717 Posts
pvick said:
I have had this little thing since my SE was new. Say you are driving along at pretty much neutral throttle, when you just need a little more power. So you ease into the throttle (that's tip-in), and just as you do, the engine hesitates for just a second, then begins to accelerate the car.

Another variation of this is if you are using cruise control and start to add throttle, there is a noticable drop in power before the engine catches.

Has anyone on this forum had either of these anomolies? Think it could be linked to the drive-by-wire throttle? Or perhaps the variable cam timing?

Paul V
2002 Alty SE
Silver/Charcoal
214CID V6
Manual Trans
Yeah, I noticed that too
before I did the intake &
exhaust mods. The problem
diminished considerably afterwords.
Acceleration comes on smoothly
throughout the powerband
without that initial dip.
IMO, the stock plumbing is
the source of many of our ills!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I noticed what you're describing about using the cruise control. However, being curious by nature and wanting to find out if it was true, I very slowly pressed the accelerator while very carefully watching the speedo & tach ... guess what, car didn't slow down. I think it's (at least in my car, and IMHO) just the perception that the speed should increase because you have the same resistance on the accelerator before you reach the cruise throttle position as you do after. Yes, I believe that it is due to the throttle by wire.

In my millenia (and all other vehicles that I've had with cruise), when I set the cruise the accelerator is spring return to the no throttle position, but very slack up to the point where the cruise has set the throttle.

I didn't notice anything like you described when not using the cruise, however.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Hesitation

I've noticed that a few times, under those same circumstances. Coming on to the freeway in 3rd gear behind slower cars, and then you go to full-throttle to pull around traffic, and there's a slight hesitation.

Bugs me. Wonder how that would affect things while autocrossing? Instead of turbo-lag, you get electronic throttle-lag.

So, it gets better with less plumbing restrictions? Another good reason to do that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Re: Hesitation at Throttle tip-in..

SE-Rious said:

Yeah, I noticed that too
before I did the intake &
exhaust mods. The problem
diminished considerably afterwords.
Acceleration comes on smoothly
throughout the powerband
without that initial dip.
IMO, the stock plumbing is
the source of many of our ills!

Likewise here - JwT intake and custom exhuast "improved it" the problem is with the ECU and overactive sensors.... Car was desinged with great power, but delivered in rations to make it smooth as a family car. Still hoping for an ECU upgrade that will make the care scream for real..

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hesitation at Throttle tip-in..

tullio said:

Likewise here - JwT intake and custom exhuast "improved it" the problem is with the ECU and overactive sensors.... Car was desinged with great power, but delivered in rations to make it smooth as a family car. Still hoping for an ECU upgrade that will make the care scream for real..
Good to see you back on the boards, Tullio!
Let me know when you find a chip upgrade
I would be very interested!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts