The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying that my 08 altima 2.5s 6spd. has over 223,000 and is on the original clutch, over the past couple of weeks I am getting a hesitation coming from the drive train (the rpms do not drop) between 1500 and 2000 rpms. Under hard acceleration the car does not do it, between moderate or slow acceleration is when the car does it. Any thoughts on what this could be, thanks in advance.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Any codes? Air/Fuel sensor in exhaust, MAF in intake? What your short and long term fuel trims (read via OBDII)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got an obd 2 sensor on the car, its giving me code P0102 which I believe is the throttle positioning sensor, on the 08 qr2.5 can you buy a tps separately or do you have to buy it as part of the throttle body. I have also seen online that you can try to clean it with sandpaper has anybody tried that? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From the Factory Service Manual:

P0102
Mass air flow sensor
circuit low input
An excessively low voltage from the sensor is sent
to ECM.

Possible Causes
• Harness or connectors
(The sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
• Intake air leaks
• Mass air flow sensor

You could try to clean the MAF sensor with a specific cleaner (for example CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner). Also check for air leaks in the intake, part of which houses the MAF. You could also measure the voltage from the connector on the MAF to see what value it is. The FSM indicates the MAF voltage should be 0.4V with ignition on and engine stopped, 0.9 to 1.1V at idle, 1.4 to 1.7V at 2500 rpm. If you cannot measure the voltage, some of the code readers will allow you to read the MAF value (real time data).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for steering me in the right direction, I cleaned it with crc and it's still doing it, I will check the MAF voltage next. Thank you

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got to testing the voltage, I got 0.4, 1.1 at idle and 1.6 at 2500 rpm. It seems that the MAF is not the problem and I did not find any leaks, but I am still getting the P0102. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you erase error code P0102 and see how long before it comes back? If you can get a code reader that can read live data you can see if the computer is obtaining the following information:

MASS AIRFLOW
Idle 1.0 - 4.0 g·m/s
2,500 rpm 4.0 - 10.0 g·m/s

You will have to configure the code reader to read in metric units. This way you can verify that the wiring to the ECM is also OK. There could be an intermittent wiring problem. You can obtain a replacement MAF sensor for around $80 (at rockauto), however, it could be a wiring problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe have a quick look at the earths mate

make sure that none are loose or dirty

many issues can be created from poor earths especially sensor codes!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got to the bottom of the problem, the obd 2 sensor gave me the p0102 code but the maf was within the parameters, so I cleared the sensor and tried again, this time I got p0301 which is the #1 cylinder (ignition coil) so I switched that coil with the #3 coil and I put the the obd 2 back on and it gave p0303 code. Long story short I bought a new ignition coil and no more hesitation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts