1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
I got a Muegen. Wont be on until this week, but I still have it

·
Registered
129 Posts
i actually have a question on this topic.. instead of just creating a new thread...... okay.. well i bought a hi flo cat on ebay.. here's the link.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7907581706&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MERFB:IID alright... and i was just wondering if it's possible to put it on my 95 altima... does the installer have to drill a hole for the o2 sensor?... because there's no hole for it.... is it even possible to put it on?!?!.. or did i get jipped?

-Chris

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
^ that is NOT a high flow cat. that is just a resonator. it is basically a pre-muffler with a straight through design. if you have inspection or Emissions in your state, I dont think you will be passing either or. but if all you have is inspection, save the heat shield from your stock cat, and put it on around this one, so when they look under the car, it looks like you have a normal cat on the car. if you read the entire auction, you would notice that the seller even mentioned that its a resonator to replace the cat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
alright.. well not to sound like a noob.... but what does a resonator do?.. my local performance car shop wanted to know if i've taken it off yet.. and i told them no.. because i KNOW i havn't.. but what does it do?... and does THAT need an oxygen sensor?..

-Chris

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
a resonator is just a pre-muffler. its there to tune the sound of the exhaust to a certain pitch. you can get one to make the car sound louder or quieter. just like a high flow muffler compared to a stock one. a resonator doesnt need a O2 sensor. If you replace the cat with a resonator, you are basically putting on a race pipe that is designed to change the pitch of the sound coming out the exhaust. it doesnt do anything else. if you have an OBDII car that has a second O2 sensor and replace the cat with a resonator, you will need to put the O2 sensor after the cat. if you have a stock catback exhaust, you dont have to worry about it, cause the stock one works just fine. but if you have a custom catback, you will need to relocate the 2nd O2 sensor after the cat/resonator (if you swap out the cat for one).

Hope that answers your question

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Just wondering. Are those 20-30 dollar high-flow cats on ebay any good. I was going for the GB custom cat-back but aparently there were fit problems for the cat. Can anyone point me towards a cat that would fit properly between hotshot headers and that custom CB in the GB?

I have my car in florida so inspection is not an issue... i was thinking of runing catless but i dont want the car being too loud when cruising. Possibly having a small section of pipe installed where i could swap the cat in and out if necessary.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
i am getting a shop to weld on a flange for my cat so i can swap them out for emmissions. the Muegen I have isnt a high flow cat. I looked at it more carefully today. its just a resonator with flanges welded to be a direct bolt on. but, the stock cat is so old, and rusted that I need new flanges welded on it so I can reinstall it for emmissions, and then swap the muegen back on after I pass

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
ha and 25% of shops will do it if you give them some inscentive or yousimply need some friends.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sorry im not trying to thread jack but i was wondering... since my father is a welder n all and i can somewhat weld i was wondering where can i find flanges that bolt right up to my stock piping / header. So i can just swap the cats out after emissions.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
i already talked to one shop, and they did it for me once already last week, and I told them i need to get a new one done once the pipe came in, and they didnt have a problem with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts