·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are these ebay kits crap.. or has HID kit pricing gone down the last few months?? seems to me everyone has knocked of around 100 bucks on these things.

·
812-317
209 Posts
I've seen this kind of system before... When you flip on the highbeam, it switches on the Halogen and keeps the HID on. However, the reason that these things are getting so cheap is because they're illegal to sell in the US, but these guys have a ton of excess inventory, so they're offloading it on eBay. Also, it's a McCullough set, which leads me to believe it has somewhat questionable quality.

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
~TaZ~
815 Posts
There are 2 really good brands of HID, Philips and another one....i'll try and find out

edit: Philips and Osram are the best (they control the entire market on OEM bulbs)... they are also used by nearly all car manufacturers (bmw, audi, porsche, lexus, mercedes, GM, nissan, toyota, acura...) that have cars with HIDs

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of them make one of that style?
Now they make bulbs... what about ballasts and such?
Do any of these kids use their bulbs?

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed these http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/products/lamp_h4_4100k.htm

To me, from a technical viewpoint they look proper fit for first gens. THe bulbs is encapsulated in a casing that would mimmic the 9003/H4 bulb and place the beam in the correct place.

I konw there are d2r bulbs wjhich are supposed to be for reflector headlights but those i dont belive are specifically made for 9003 bulbs.

·
812-317
209 Posts
Once again, HID kits are not street legal in the US. Moreover, unlike some of the other less than legal things we do to our cars, they are instantly noticeable, and are easily picked out by the police. They blind incoming drivers, and make the road less safe. Now, it is possible to create a system that mimics the HID-style system with our cars. It is not cheap, but it is "mostly" legal. You need to create projector-style headlights, and then have a COMPLETE HID system mounted and aimed properly. That means buying cleared headlamps, or doing it yourself, and fabbing projectors. As far as I know, the only company that offers this service is Illusion Lighting, who do rather fine work. Just my $.02

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i understand that. That is why i am looking for bulbs that would mimmic the original bulb as close as possible. Thank you for the reference to illusion lighting. I Was looking for this kind of solution for a long time. It sounds awsome and i think that will be the way i go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts