The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have installed morimoto elite h1 hid kit with relay harness and Bi-Xenon projector. after installing this kit car run very bad it seems like car bogging down. i have to manually change the gear to 3rd and give it a gas if i have to pass someone. so i disconnect relay wire positive and negative from battery and cars run fine all the power comes back. i don't have to manually change the gear anymore. why with this hid kit car bogging down ?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,121 Posts
How did you wire this in exactly? Pictures if you can, words to help would be appreciated.

My initial guess is that you are somehow corrupting the engine ground which is interfering with a crap ton of sensors.

1. Does it still run rough with wires connected but HIDs off?
2. Does disconnecting just the relay negative wire resolve the issue?

Please verify the integrity of the negative battery cable, particularly between the chassis and transmission. These cars are notorious for the cables rotting out at this point. If it's rotten, that's almost certainly your issue....assuming you didn't do something overly creative with the harness wiring...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello d0ughmac1,
attached you find wiring diagram from morimoto and on page 5 what i followed and light lit up perfectly fine.
yes disconnecting relay negative wire from battery resolve issues. and car run fine just like brand new car.
also i have just replace the negative battery cable with this part no 24080-8j000 also i have clean using sand paper where is mount on the transmission body and classy. also i hace contact morimoto and they told me that we have never heard this before.

Attachments

·
6,121 Posts
Can you test by finding another place to bolt the negative wire to the chassis instead of the battery. Sand to bare metal to ensure solid ground contact with chassis metal. Test engine.

If problem persists, disconnect relay harness connectors from both ballasts, but leave rest of wiring in place. Do you still have the problem? If not, does it come back with either ballast reconnected, or does only one causes the issue?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
d0ughmac1,

I think i found the problem. its the alternator pulley. it is a clutch type pulley in our cars.

·
6,121 Posts
So the engine perf issues are now unrelated to the HID kit?

The reason I was asking about the different ground was because a lot of cars now, and certainly '07+ have a current sensor in the -ve battery cable which the ECU uses to determine how hard to make the alternator work. Often you have to swap the current sensor block off the old cable and onto the new cable when changing.

BTW you don't need a clutch type pulley, but you can order many aftermarket remans with a clutch pulley if you want one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the engine perf issues are now unrelated to the HID kit?

The reason I was asking about the different ground was because a lot of cars now, and certainly '07+ have a current sensor in the -ve battery cable which the ECU uses to determine how hard to make the alternator work. Often you have to swap the current sensor block off the old cable and onto the new cable when changing.

BTW you don't need a clutch type pulley, but you can order many aftermarket remans with a clutch pulley if you want one.
negative battery cable has no sensor. and can't change the location. because the length of the oem cable.
remans alternator is not cheap either.

·
6,121 Posts
Ok. Alternator pulley shouldn't cause bogging unless the alternator bearing are shot big time.

What made you go in this direction instead of pursing engine sensor grounds?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Alternator pulley shouldn't cause bogging unless the alternator bearing are shot big time.

What made you go in this direction instead of pursing engine sensor grounds?
where is the location of this engine sensor grounds ?

·
6,121 Posts
Expand my .sig, Click on the Altima FSM link, select your year (or a year from the same variant...ie 02-03. 04-06, 07-09) and open up the PG section. All harness grounds are there.

My gut feel is something isn't well grounded and is inducing a lot of high frequency noise back into the cars electrical system which is causing the ECU issues.

You can test out your alternator theory by temporarily removing the V-belt..but be careful the 2.5 has a belt driven water pump...so you can only run it a short time while cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts