The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I just installed an HID kit on the 2015 altima. Hid kit works fine, no issues. But when I start the car with the headlights in auto mode they turn on for a second and then just turn back off. I have to turn off the car, put the stalk to off, start the car then turn the headlights on for it to work. Anyone know how to fix this? Only happens when I first start it. Once they are warmed up they start up with the auto mode on fine.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Sounds like an issue a couple have experienced.

I believe the verdict was that there wasn't enough juice being supplied to the ballast to fire them up right away in auto mode.

If I remember correctly, don't quote me on this, the solution was to directly wire to the battery, so it's drawing juice directly from the battery instead of putting a strain on the electrical system.
Once again this is for auto mode only.

When the car is already powered on, there isn't a problem starting the hid headlights.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
369 Posts
Sounds like an issue a couple have experienced.

I believe the verdict was that there wasn't enough juice being supplied to the ballast to fire them up right away in auto mode.

If I remember correctly, don't quote me on this, the solution was to directly wire to the battery, so it's drawing juice directly from the battery instead of putting a strain on the electrical system.
Once again this is for auto mode only.

When the car is already powered on, there isn't a problem starting the hid headlights.
My hid kit from trs was made like this, it draws power right from my battery. It only needs the driver side head light harness to get the signal to turn on and off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured this might be the issue. It's weird I had the same HID kit on the 2008 altima I had a couple years ago and it didn't have this issue. Oh well guess I don't have auto headlights anymore.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I figured this might be the issue. It's weird I had the same HID kit on the 2008 altima I had a couple years ago and it didn't have this issue. Oh well guess I don't have auto headlights anymore.
Technically you still do, with the stalk in the off position, start the car, then switch the stalk to auto. They should fire up.
You just have to remember to put them in the off position before shutting the car off. Then repeat.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
The Gen5's are different from the Gen4's as they don't have diode logic in the path anymore...they are fed direct, via relay, from the battery...technically no different from an aftermarket HID relay harness would.

I had a related problem I solved in a different way, as I retrofitted HID assemblies into a non-HID Gen4. The problem was that the startup sequence, caused the HIDs to fire up, then they went off, then they fired up again, or tried to sometimes (this was WITH a battery fed relay harness in place, controlled by the DS low beam signal). The issue here was that power is supplied to the headlights as soon as the car enters 'Ignition' from 'ACC' mode which causes the ignitor phase of the HID to begin...after a short 1-3s delay the starter motor kicks in...which causes the battery voltage to drop significantly, low enough that the ingnitors stop, but not before the metal crystal in the HID have warmed a bit. The start motor shuts off, battery voltage then jumps to 14.4V as the alternator kicks in. In my case I was worried about premature bulb failure because of the 'cold restart' of the HIDs. There is documented evidence that short duration burns of HIDs ages them more quickly, and as they get older, you sometimes need for them to cool completely before you can 're-ignite' them.

My solution was to put a delay in place, that would only ignite the bulbs once the battery voltage had stabilized at the 'engine run' level of 14.4V. This ensure I have plenty of juice available for ignition (which consumes 200%+) the normal running power of HIDs. I actually put both a voltage and then a time delay in (because I could), so my exact logic is:

1. wait for alternator active voltage (14.4V -0.7V diode drop in Canadian DRL system), so about 13.4V is what I deemed suitable
2. wait another 3s, then close control relay which energizes the power relays to the HID ballasts.

This has been working flawlessly for me...while saving my bulbs the regular 'double-tap startup stress' too.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mines fine from DDM, sometimes the right won't fire up about 10% of the time. but that was cause of a bad ballastic now it's like 3% of the time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i lied, this morning it was cold and only the left went on but one flick off and on, and both came alive

·
Registered
179 Posts
i leave my headlights on when i turn the car off and just use the auto off function where you can select how long the lights stay on. the switchbacks come on with the remote start and when i push the start button my fogs and headlights come on no issues and both are HID. I have the TRS kit wired to the battery for power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts