The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to figure out why my high beams don't work, and yes i've checked the bulbs. was going to check my relays but i can't seem to find anything that tells me which relays are the ones i need to look at. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you look at your fuses located under your hood on the left passenger side by your overflow canister. Push in the clips and ermine the cover. There are fuses for L&R high beam as well as low beam. Check these fuses first. The chances of both bulbs failing are rare. Do you have H.I.D. High beams? If not check here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at your fuses located under your hood on the left passenger side by your overflow canister. Push in the clips and ermine the cover. There are fuses for L&R high beam as well as low beam. Check these fuses first. The chances of both bulbs failing are rare. Do you have H.I.D. High beams? If not check here.
yeah i've checked the fuses, even swapped em out with new ones just to make sure it wasn't them, the right side bulb is easily accesable and i've checked it as well and its fine. i even went as far as to change the headlight switch on the steering column. the only thing i haven't checked (that i know of) is the relays. but there is nothing on or in the car that tells me where or which ones they are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I forgot to ask you if your passing light switch activates the high beam. Meaning if u pull back on the blinker switch does your h/b's come on? And do you have factory fog lights? If so turn your low beams on and activate your fog lights. Now flip the blinker as if you were putting on your h/b's. do your fog lights go off? Where did u get the switch u said you replaced? And did u replace the whole blinker arm?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i flip the switch like that my high beams don't come on but my low beams do (which made me wonder if its a wiring issue but i can't see any indication that somebody has done anything with the wiring) i have no fog lights (car didn't come with em but i'm hoping in the near future i can add some) and i replaced the whole arm straight from nissan, brand new in the box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your symptoms sound similar to mine, except only one high beam wouldn't come on. I checked the bulb, fuses and as many connectors as I could find. (I didn't think of checking the flash-to-pass function,) I gave up and took it to a dealer for diagnosis. The problem was a defective DTRL (day time running lights) module - about $300 total.

I did a search of this site when I got home to make sure they hadn't scammed me. It does exist and controls the daytime running light (low power high beams) and high beam functions on Canadian cars. I don't know whether it's used on US cars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's pretty odd. It caused only one of your high beams to not function? Is there a left and right? Or is it one piece that internally controls both and only half was blown? You would think the DTRL would control low beam. They sure think how to confuse us car guys!!! Lol. I guess you could get busy with a test light and trace it back after every junction that controls the high beams. Or pay the $100 diagnostic fee, have dealer tell you what's wrong then fix it yourself and save a few hundred!! When u get it pin pointed def. jump back on here and let us know what it was! I'm bout to pull my motor and swap it out for one w 43k. I bought a bunch of goodies to install too. My car made it to 205k before the front cat turned to motor destroying dust. I took the front cat off to see if it was melted. I already replaced the firewall side and gutted the post Y pipe cat. Well when I took it off there was nothing in it!! NOTHING!!! It went from running fine to smoking like a 5 min burn out in two days!! Thanks nissan!! I took such good car of my car when it hit 200k I was proud then BAM.... Smoke monster!! Lol. Ill take pics and post my swap!!

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my car isn't a Canadian built and i'm told by my local Nissan dealer that my car doesn't have a dtrl module. also i'm told there aren't any relays for the headlamps. so now i'm back to square one. thinking of seeing if I get my shop discount on service like I do parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would get a muti-meter and start with the column on/off switch. Even though its new. Electrical parts can be faulty from the box. I know. I know. What are the chances it's bad.... U never know. You also might have a short between ur firewall. Who knows?? Get the meter and trace it all the way to the bulb. You can get a chilton for your car to show you the wirering schematic and have at it... Def keep us posted!! Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats probly what i'm gonna have to do. i already sent the new switch back to nissan. it was doing the exact same things the other switch was doing so i figured if i could save the 80 something dollars i would. i've got several days off from my evening job the next few weeks so hopefully i will have some time to work on it. i'll post back here when i get it figured out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having a similar problem. I have a 2015 Nissan Altima and the low beams are having problems. The low beams are the hid kits. Im guessing factory as to why I cant replace them with basic headlights because they literally suck. But at the moment the past week the left will go out and then come back on 2 days later then the right will go out then come on 2 days later and then they will both go off for a few days. Not in exact time just kicking off and on and being stupid. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts