The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When starting my Altima 3.5 in the morning cold the rpm jumps up to about 2500rpm and then comes down right away to about 1500 rpm. It seems like the rpm is set to high for a cold start as it's very loud and sounds hard on the engine. Anyone else have similar experience and any suggestions to fix this? Thank you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That is normal. There is no fix. It is meant to do that. Directly from owners manual...

Cold engine idle speed is high, so use
caution when shifting into a forward or
reverse gear before the engine has
warmed up.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
There is not a FI car on the planet that does not do that.......

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm not saying it's not normal for a high idle when cold. What I'm saying is that I have never owned a car that has such a high idle at the moment of start up. Any car I've owned normal would be 1500-2000rpm. At 2500rpm you can feel the vibrations through the whole car. If this is normal for an Altima that's good news. But it sure feels excessive. Revving an engine under no load is not good for an engine.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
Two adjectives I would never use to describe the 4 banger Altima motor Smooth or Quiet.......Cold or warm. Good motor, but I would never want to own it. My Dad has the 2012 2.5. Night and day to the 3.5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts