The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, this is the first drive by wire throttle I've ever owned.

All previous Nissan's and Infiniti's (all manual's one auto) that I've owned were cable throttles (*except my '02 Maxima SE manual). If I were to hit the rev limiter in all of those cars, the rpm's would bounce off of the limiter.

'87 Sentra SE manual
'91 NX2000 manual
'91 SE-R manual
'95 Pathfinder XE auto
'96 G20 manual
'02 Maxima SE manual
'99 Q45 auto

In my '08 Altima 3.5 "manual" when it hit's the limiter, it is as if the fuel shuts down and the engine just bogs. I have to release the pedal then I am fine. It is an awkward feeling. The best I can compare it to is a Chevrolet automatic hitting the limiter. It literally feels like the car shuts down.

Is that how the rev limiter works on these now?

·
Registered
446 Posts
The FSM states that the fuel will be shut off when the car speed or the engine speed is excessive but there's no mention of what the excessive speeds would be.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
More importantly there's no clue as to how it's shut down. If i was a bastard Nissan programmer...I'd probably kill the injector pulses via the ECU--just to make it tricky to bypass.

So it would probably be easier to mod the vehicle speed signal coming into the ECU from the tranny (autos) or abs (manuals) say a divide by two function maybe?

·
Registered
96 Posts
On my 2009 MT 2.5, I've hit the limiter just once or twice. This is typically after I've downshifted (e.g. to 3rd gear) for max acceleration at WOT, but soon after that, run out of RPMs. The drive-by-wire system is a lot nicer than fuel cut (smoother and much less risk of detonation due to imprecise mixture control), because it just acts as if the driver backed off on the throttle by the exact amount needed to hold the RPMs at redline.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Guess I'll just get used to it. Not purposely redlining, but when aggressively driving, I'll hit it during WOT and quick shifts when not paying attention at RPM's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts