The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was coming home from town and I look down and I see my battery and break light was on. so I drove a little more down the road, pull over and turn off the car and turn it back on to see if maybe my battery is dead. It's starts up fine with no problem so I figure maybe it's just some bad sensors. So as I was kinda in a hurry to get home I gun it to get up to speed so I wouldn't hold uip traffic or snything like that. And as I floor it and go into passing gear I see the lights go off. So I kinda started wondering about it but just figured bad sensors nothing to worry about. So I'm about 5 miles from my house and I turn onto my road and floor it like I always do. But instead of going into passing gear it hesitates and doesn't go. I try it about four times and still wouldn't go. So I just decided not to worry abut it, and I press on the breaks to slow down since there was a car ahead of my stopped and as I do my RPMS, and speedo dropped to 0. and my airbag light turns on. So I think my car is dead. (it isn't yet) but I pull off the and than my car dies. So I get my dad up to where I am and have him jump my car and everything seems fine. As soon as he took the cables off it'd die. So eventually I go home and get a new battery and put it in and it turns over fine. But my battery and break light is still on. What could cause that? I know bad sensors but what else? Also could a dieing battery keep the car from going into passing gear?

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump bump bump :p

·
was up
3,277 Posts
your alternator is definately screwed. dont crank it on that new battery so its still good when you get the new one.

also you dont need to get a brand new alternator. look around your town and you can most likely get your alternator rewound and itll be as good as new

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unfortunetly since this is a very small town all the shops are trying to make the most they can. I probably will have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Do you have a system by any chance?? I remember someone posted not too long ago about how to fix the alternator if this one wire burns out... Check it out, it's worth trying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow

Good thing I read that...my car is doing the same thing just about! Whenever I turn on my head lights the brake and battery light flash and my headlights dim. I just put some fog lamps on like 2 weeks ago and it started doing it at the end of last week. My old man said it was probably the alternator.

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
Yep... Alternator (as if you needed one more confirmation after all these responses) - but definitely check the belt first - like Munker said - before you run out a buy a new alternator. You might get lucky and just have a loose/slipping belt. It's admittedly a small possibility, but still... a possibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts