13:10mm socket 1/4 rachet
14:14mm socket long n short
15:13/16 wrench for cam gear bolts
16:hammer r mallet
17:14mm wrench

1st:remove valve cover

2nd:remove alternor bracket

3rd:remove pass side motor mount

notice the mount will magicly stay aligned,but if its off for some reason when you go to put it back the put the bolt in it and use your hands to wiggle it in place

no support needed for them motor

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
why you have to move this bracket

4th:remove the motor motor bracket bolts 3 17mm bolts/ loosen the one14mm (bolts with the "7"on them)

it moves after you loosen this 14mm bolt,i suggest you use a 6 point wrench because it will slip if you arent appling force on a vertical axis,but a 12 point will work

5th:remove 12mm bolts(x6) holding the top timing cover and 2 10mm bolts

6th:use the starter to rotate the motor as close as possible to the timing as if you rebuilt the motor,use hand to put spot on

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
7th:i dont know what size wrench is use to hold the cam still,but some big
pliers are good enough,break loose the intake one first then ext

8th:if they moved dont worry to much cause u can easily move them back
also here are the proper timimg marks

notice were the link is near the ridge on the head,and oil sprayer

can you see the embossed dot on the front idler gear

notice the square notches,thats were the dowels on the cams should be
also ther are 6 chain link faces between the two shaded links if you dont have this many in between then you arent in time,btw 1 tooth=30 degrees off,also you will put the chain on the same links your factory would have use/ex. the new dimple for timing will use the same link as the stock postion

ext

int

9th:remove tensioner(bottom 10mm first) and the guide
10th:if u havent already drilled the gears yet,now would be the time to,i will post pic if of how its not supose to look(see post on sec page)

cam gear drilling instructions
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=199829

11th:install them
12th:install upper timimg chain to the new marks u made
13th: do everything in reverse
14th call me at 478-957-1709 if unclear at any point

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ill reserve my various comments, and none of them have to with the timing cover btw
thanks,(what are they)now do u see why i remove the cover and why its so hard to get right when u cand see the marks on the idler pulley

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

IT HAS TO FIT PERFECTLY!

AGAIN, IT HAS TO FIT PERFECTLY!

this one has 2.5 adv and 2.5 ret.

2.5 adv.

what you dont want to happen,but u can still use them with the drilled hole jus dont ream the hole out,only make it taller like the stock timimg notch

these are still usable

·
2600 lbs
6,318 Posts
^damn, even i'm not that harsh on you 94sealtima

but my comments were only two simple things, i would hold the camshafts just behind the cam gears with a large adjustable wrench. It's easier and safer to hold them that way then holding the middle idle puller with a screwdriver through it. This is what i was talking about before with being careful not to notch the head by accident when you hold them with a wrench behind the cam gears. Or were we on completely separate pages that day?

And your head gasket looks brand new which is probably why your timing cover isn't leaking like i was talking about. If somebody attempts this on an engine with an original headgasket, when they take off the upper timing cover it will ruin that little rubber seal on the timing cover section of the head gasket because the head gasket is old. Then when they reinstall it it won't prevent oil leaks like it used to. Know what i'm saying? Thats what happened to me when i did it with an old headgasket, my upper timing cover leaked like hell.

·
Cruisin' in the GLE
365 Posts
That's freakin awesome man! Nice write up!

·
Registered
922 Posts
YOUR CAR IS TRASH!!! PLEASE GIVE UP AND UPGRADE!!!
THANK YOU:eek:wned::eek:wned:
Hummmmm, 10 posts, no pics of your car, no useful or knowledgeable contributions, and your bashing another members altima? Come on man, his altima has enough mods to whoop your ass.

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hummmmm, 10 posts, no pics of your car, no useful or knowledgeable contributions, and your bashing another members altima? Come on man, his altima has enough mods to whoop your ass.
we all know he still has a car note on a 10yr old car n no insurace, he's poor so i will take donations to get him some headlights

·
Registered
922 Posts
^wait what? Who the hell is this Haseeb guy?

And i'm curious on your comments to my comments 94sealtima
Im not sure, but judging by his current name, I can clearly see he misspelled his name. His name is Haseeb, But if you add the n that he left out, and rearrange some letters, it easy to see that he meant for his name to be Hasbeen...

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not sure, but judging by his current name, I can clearly see he misspelled his name. His name is Haseeb, But if you add the n that he left out, and rearrange some letters, it easy to see that he meant for his name to be Hasbeen...
damn he is a HASBEEN

allblkout,u can do it either way it jus depends on your idler pulley,thats my oem one but some are just flat with no holes in them,but i got the screwdriver trick from a haynes manual

·
Mad Australian
8 Posts
notice the square notches,thats were the dowels on the cams should be
also ther are 6 chain link faces between the two shaded links if you dont have this many in between then you arent in time,btw 1 tooth=30 degrees off
Newbie at all this, have just rebuilt a KA24DE and think that I could be out by one of the tooths, what effect will this have. Engine is still on engine stand, so I have the ability to adjust if nessecary, also will this stuff the new head gasket if I remove the upper timing chain cover to expose the cam shaft sprockets.

Also with what 94sealtima has posted, what are the pros and cons of advancing the timing. If they are positive benefits I will drill the sprockets while I have the cover off.

Thanks

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
reread the whole thread,if you have to,also read my other thread with the same name

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Autobot Wangan:transform!

·
Mad Australian
8 Posts
Yes 94sealtima, I have read and re-read both threads.

But nothing within them answer the question I have asked, that being "WHAT GAINS ARE MADE FROM THE ADVANCEMENT". eg better pickup in low rev range.
And the second "IF I AM OUT BY 1 TOOTH, 30'DEG, HOW WILL THIS EFFECT TUNING". Most of the posts are of you having trouble with getting it started or bickering with another member.

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, but as I stated, I'm only new to this and to become better skilled I need to ask questions.

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no pain! my first setup was int/adv 2.5 ext/adv 2.5 it made for a quicker accel,but it will reqiure you to use 89 octane and you may have to retard timing on your disty. Nxt setup was int/stock ext/ret 2.5 this setup was choosen because on jim wolf site it said that by having the exhaust ret. it will create a scvanging effect by pulling the intake charge in faster because the exhaust is sucking it out while the intake is forcing its way in,you kinda lose some of your intake charge but your only losing part of what you gain and a side effect is smoother idle(gas guzzler also)
my nxt setup will be int/ret 2.5 ext/stock im doing this to keep the the smooth idle,as for effects i have no idea as to what they will be.

·
DIFFERENER
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But nothing within them answer the question I have asked, that being "WHAT GAINS ARE MADE FROM THE ADVANCEMENT". eg better pickup in low rev range.
And the second "IF I AM OUT BY 1 TOOTH, 30'DEG, HOW WILL THIS EFFECT TUNING". Most of the posts are of you having trouble with getting it started or bickering with another member.

to answer your sec? yea if you are off by one tooth it will not start up when you go to start it,so you must have it on time to even start the car. nxt you can adj timing by using the cam gear method or the disty or S-AFC II by apexi(as you adjust within it,it adv timing as a side effect)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts