The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some review of electrical diagrams to see how the Homelink (garage door opener) is wired. It appears that it uses the same wires as the driver side vanity mirror. I think you have EITHER the Homelink OR the vanity mirror. Does anybody out there have both on the driver visor?

The service manual calls out replacing the entire visor assembly if the Homelink is faulty. I don't really care about the driver vanity mirror :) but I would like the Homelink.

I guess I could pick up the visor with Homelink from Nissan parts. Any dealer willing to quote a price???

Better yet, anybody willing to swap a Homelink visor for a vanity visor??????

·
Registered
81 Posts
I didn't opt for the Homelink, but I'm intrigued at the thought it might be addable later.

For those that have it: Does it do anything other than let you program your garage door opener, and possibly home X10 type RF remote controls (light and security system, possibly?) into it?

When on my first test drive, the salesman suggested it was just like on-star, or star-link, or whatever other luxury satellite based help systems are called, and would let Nissan "unlock my door for me" if I'd locked my keys inside. I have yet to see any proof of this. Tell me it isn't so!

OpalBlue

·
Da Shiznit
520 Posts
OpalBlue said:
I didn't opt for the Homelink, but I'm intrigued at the thought it might be addable later.

For those that have it: Does it do anything other than let you program your garage door opener, and possibly home X10 type RF remote controls (light and security system, possibly?) into it?

When on my first test drive, the salesman suggested it was just like on-star, or star-link, or whatever other luxury satellite based help systems are called, and would let Nissan "unlock my door for me" if I'd locked my keys inside. I have yet to see any proof of this. Tell me it isn't so!

OpalBlue
It isn't..... What a fool he was........

From homelink.com

What other capabilities does HomeLink have besides operating garage doors?
HomeLink will activate/deactivate security systems, home/office lighting, and small appliances; lock/unlock entry door locks; and open/close gates.

·
Registered
884 Posts
OpalBlue said:
....the salesman suggested it was just like on-star, or star-link, or whatever other luxury satellite based help systems are called, and would let Nissan "unlock my door for me" if I'd locked my keys inside....
OH MY GOSH!! TOTAL BS!!! Woah. You need to go back to another dealership and ask them what your car really does! I am glad that you are on this board.

It sounds like that salesman might have also said that if you go 88 miles an hour, you may suddenly go back to the year 1955 and fight your dad's bully while fending off your moms advances!!!

I can't stand when someone selling something to you feeds you a load of BS and then gets commission sales from it. Did he prepare for his job at all???????

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't stand when someone selling something to you feeds you a load of BS and then gets commission sales from it. Did he prepare for his job at all???????
He came to town to go to college, but dropped out to sell cars. I actually told him more about the altima than he told me. He tried plenty of BS on me, but at least was very "polite" about it, and would always plead ignorance when I'd call him on it. I spent more than three months from the first test drive to when I actually bought the car, and since he would call me every week to see "what he could do for me", I heard about every tactic they must teach in "Selling Cars 101".

My favorite: I was waiting to see if Nissan would offer 0% on the Altima like every other car maker, because I couldn't see any point in paying more than the car's list price (the interest) if I didn't have to. Once he suggested I could "Buy down" the interest. I asked him if he remembered when I told him I was a college professor? He said "Oh, yea." I asked him if "buying down" meant I'd simply pay the dealership what profit they would have made in interest up front and on top of the car's price. He said "Yes, but that way you can make payments for 3 or 4 years at exactly 1/36 or 1/48 the sale price." When I explained to him that I was insulted at his implying I was a fool, he apologized, claiming "thats just one thing they tell us to do to help customers get financing. I didn't really know what it meant."

Trust me, he didn't get a good review.

OpalBlue

·
Registered
42 Posts
The genius at Baker-Jackson in N.Houston also tried to tell us the homelink thing was like On-Star...His word; This is Nissan's version of On-Star....Of course this clown also said that Nissan would warranty the timing chain "For the life of the car"....This prose followed the salesman's bantering about how this was Nissan's first car with a timing chain instead of a timing belt that never needed changing...

That's when I called bullshit on him and asked about the 71 240Z I did own and the 81 200sx spare car that is in first of the car right now both having timing chains... He stuttered and went on about the lifetime warranty coverage on the chain..He also balked when I aasked to get this in writing.....

These guys really need to learn that not everyone fell off the turnip truck yesterday.....

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
Why even have salesmen? Were I to run a dealership I would just hire a few folks on straight salary just to take orders and answer questions and give test drives. Then I'd offer my cars slightly over invoice ($300 to $600) and just make money on volume and holdback. I would turn over my inventory so fast that hardly any of my holdback would go to finance costs of my inventory. Not to mention whatever bonuses or volume discounts come from the manufacturer for the high rate of sales from my dealership. I would offer competitive financing against other banks. It would better if I got the interest instead of the bank, right? Heck, I would blow away my competition on the no-BS style business alone!

It just boggles me to see how easy this plan would be. I've heard of it take place at some Ford dealership in Denton. My co-worker has gone there for his last 3 Fords just because the dealership is straight-up and sells slightly over invoice. Yes, it includes rebates as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 3.5 SE and i felt a spot on the drivers side vanity where a homelink controller could possible be installed later. You can feel where the buttons will go. Or is it just mine check your vanitys and let me know :confused: :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts