The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
PR's bends are smoother. But fitment can be a problem. It looks really nice in any color you get. I think it remains cooler, but I have no proof.
Homemade is cheap and will fit cuz you custom fit it. You'd probably hafta paint it to make it look good cuz black abs isn't that attractive. You can do with or without the airbox.
Jay

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Hey wait... is PVC and ABS 2 different types of plastics??? If so, which one should I be using???

Also, if you want to keep your air temps cool, I'm pretty sure you can get some insulation from Home Depot that you can wrap the piping in.

And I think you can make a homemade with little restriction... Just make sure you make your intake using long sweeping bends.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Well, 90degree bends are 90degree bends...can't really do much about that if you're using pvc (white) or abs (black...used for sewage I think).
I'm thinking someone should try bending their own pipes outta some kinda metal.
Jay

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Place Racing

Just get the place racing CAI. It's definately worht every cent. I love mine! Has a lovely deep growl to it with good power gains in high end. Better than a Home made, by far

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Re: Place Racing

1fastaltima said:
Just get the place racing CAI. It's definately worht every cent. I love mine! Has a lovely deep growl to it with good power gains in high end. Better than a Home made, by far
Just wondering, when does your car feel like it has the most kick and did it change from before the cai?

I haven't had a chance to drive the car alone to notice the diff, but it does seem to pull harder around 4300. And I find it harder to tweak the gas for corners to dial in the over/understeer.

Jay

·
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft
324 Posts
Re: Place Racing

1fastaltima said:
Better than a Home made, by far
Everyone has an opinion.

·
Resident Boost Junkie
3,045 Posts
Aiight i did this and works better and is more safer than PVC pipe, i went to mienke, and had them cut 2" to tha measurements that i need, and then painted it with ceramic paint, and then did tha same thing with tha 3 " pipe, and it works good, i put it on my boy alty, and he really likes it. But i would prefer tha real thing

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Going back to the oringinal question...

Yes, the Place Racing will give better performance.

But I think the real issue is justification of spending $200 for the Place Racing vs. $50 for the Home Depot... Which would give the most performance per dollar ratio.

I'm going to do the homemade route just to mess around. I don't want to mess around with $200 and phuk things up. And swaping back in the stock intake will be easier with the homemade than Place Racing, I think.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
5,546 Posts
ERyNN29 don't listen to these monkeys that buy the CAI's.

Do you really want to spend $195 on a CAI?
I didn't either........ It has 1 function.... MASS AIRFLOW.

Yeah it has a 90° turn and doesn't have smooth edges on the inside.... But ask yourself this....

How much horsepower will I loose? I'd say 1/16 maybe even 1/8 of 1 horsepower.
Does that justify an extra $100?
Not in any sane person's opinion.

I re-wrote how to install the CAI and you can't even see it.

Then the guyz say.... Well, the PR CAI looks better!
Again I say... $195 so someone can see 6 inch's of blue, red, or chrome pipe? Ummm yeaaaahhhh riiiiiggghttt.
Is your car going to be featured in car shows? Do you like to blow money? Save your money for something better like an exhaust or rims. Build the CAI and save yourself over $130.

JMO
If you don't like it EAT ME!
(=

·
Registered
714 Posts
iv always wondered why someone dosnt just make a CAI totally out of large rubber tubbing, it will stop the problem with needing mandril bent tubbing, rubber is a great insilator, and it would be easier to work with. it may even be better then place racing.

S

·
0 Posts
we're talking about intakes here folks. Not which turbo to get...

REALIZE HOW MINIMAL THIS IS PLEASE... JUST GET WHATS CHEAPEST... AND SAVE FOR SOME REAL MODS...

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
sleazyjizay said:
we're talking about intakes here folks. Not which turbo to get...

REALIZE HOW MINIMAL THIS IS PLEASE... JUST GET WHATS CHEAPEST... AND SAVE FOR SOME REAL MODS...
I agree, this is getting ridiculous. Everyone has their own opinions. The people pushing for Homemade cai or filter and adapters are going to obviously say, that. They've never had the experience of a real CAI from a reputable company before, so how would they know which is better. I've had the experience of both before, and i can assure you, that the PR CAI is way better. It's been test proven.

Do some research on other sites (not altima sites) and see what a real CAI gives you for power gains, and then look power gains for a home made, then a filter-n-adapter. You'll be surprised.

Also, just ask Jimmy. He had a homemade one for a little while, then he wised up and got the PR CAI. He swears there's a difference. Believe me, if you're into performance, you'll take every horse you can get. If you're not that worried about it, and it's just the sound you want, get the WAI or adapter kind

I've said my piece, AMEN!

·
I'm Sig-cop man! Meow.
1,314 Posts
Why all this talk of 90° bends?

Can't you just use two 45°'s to create a better flowing smoother turn? :confused:

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
INDYALTY said:
CaN you hook up the AEM bypass to a homemade CAI?
I think you can. When ordering, make sure you get the right size for the tubing you're using. Just make a cut somewhere in your tubing, then join the 2 ends with the by pass valve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts