The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question... actually two questions... 1) How do I get the positive and negative wire from the amp to the battery? do i have to drill a hole somewhere (if so, where?) and 2) When doing a lot of wiring with electrical stuff, it says "ground to chasis" Where exactly are the ground points on a 93 alty engine???

Thanks (p.s. sorry for the new questions...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just put my amp in this weekend. audioaltima.com has a great set of install instructions... unfortuanately the website is down. You can do a google search "audioaltima amp install" and look up the cached file. You should get the instructions. You will have to drill a hole to get to the battery. Search around... you'll find the answers to all your questions... I've been a member of altimas.net for 3 years and I still have a *New Member* status because I never have to post for answers.

If you can't find your answers, post a reply.. I'll help you out. I just don't know if you're still checking this thread so I don't wanna sit here and type for an hour if I don't need to.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I get through the firewall??? the metal is so damn tough... what drill bit do i use? Secondly, where is a good place to hook up the ground wire? (please be specific) thanks!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
For getting through the firewall, you have a couple options. I drilled next to the lower hinge of the driver's side door and ran the wire through the wheel well up through the hole at the top of the wheel well. There is also space next to the steering column or you can cut into the factory grommet. I used a 1/2" drill bit specifically made for drilling metal... worked great, no trouble at all. I used 4 ga wire and the 1/2" was almost too small. Go with 9/16" or 5/8" and make sure you get a grommet... you don't want the wire getting cut and sparking everywhere.

For grounding in the trunk, you can use any of the bolts that are there. Some common points are the bolts on the trunk latch or a bolt in the wheel well where the jack is. I used the bolt on the jack holder in the wheel well. Wherever you choose to ground, make sure you sand down the area so you get good metal-metal contact/conductivity.

You only need to run a cable from the positive battery terminal. Run the power cable and the remote turn on lead on one side of the car, and the RCAs on the other side so you don't get any interference. audioaltima.com's instructions are really good.. i'll post em for you below

·
Registered
16 Posts
Part 1: Plastic Fantastic
· Open your driver's door and pull up on the door sill plate... It's held by a few clips, but it'll come...

· On the kickpanel there's a little screw-hole cover. Carefully pry it out using a small screwdriver in the slot. Remove the screw inside. If there's a nut holding it to the firewall, remove it.

· There's a small plastic pin at the top of the kickpanel piece in the door jamb. Should pop right out, but don't lose it...

· Open the rear driver's side door and take off the door sill plate.

· The middle pillar piece should come out now with just a plastic pin at the top rear. Be careful not to rip the weatherstripping above.

Part 2: Open Sesame
· Push back the carpet.

· Now you should be able to see the white plastic wiring tray.

· Carefully cut all the electrical tape so you can get the tray open. Again, careful not to cut any wires!

· The tray is held closed with a bunch of clips. Undo them and open up the tray.

Part 3: WiReD!*
· Get your power wire and open the trunk.

· Push the wire under the corrugated plastic piece in the corner of the trunk.

· Get in the back seat and feel around in the seat crack near where the seatbelt goes in. Eventually, you'll find the wire. Make sure to run it on the back side of the seatbelt so as not to interfere with it's operation.

· Pull the wire down along the side of the seat and tuck it under the carpet.

· Run your wire in the tray all the way up to the dash. Be sure to stay on the outside of the driver's seatbelt.

· Run the turn-on wire along side it and under the dash to the head unit's harness. You'll have to remove the deck to get to the harness. Instructions can be found here. Splice it into the blue wire in the harness and secure it under the dash.

· Close and re-tape the tray as needed.

Part 4: Onward to the Battery
· Now you have to run the wire through and into the engine compatment. There are several ways to do this.

o There is room by the steering column to drill a hole. Be sure to use a grommet to protect the wire. Run it up along the firewall securing as neccesary.

o Another way is to cut into the factory grommet and push the wire through. Or, drill a hole next to the lower hinge and run the wire through the hole in the foam peice in the kickpanel area. To make this next part easier, remove the wheel and take the screws out of the rear half of the splash-guard in the wheel well. Run the wire up through the hole at the top of the wheel well.

· Run the wire around the strut tower and airbox keeping well clear of moving or hot parts. Make sure it is secure as not to flop around.

· Install your fuse or circuit breaker. There is a good place on the inside of the fender to the right of the airbox. You may have to remove the airbox to screw it down.

· Trim, strip, and connect the wire to the fuseholder. Run a short length of wire from the fuseholder to the positive terminal on the battery. Attach it to the battery securely, either with a crimp ring or similar connector.

· Push the carpet back into place and replace the trim peices. Better yet, take them to the sink and give 'em a good scrubbing. Great opportunity!

Part 5: The Far Side
· Plug your RCA cables into the deck's preouts and run them on the other side of the car using the same ideas as the power wire.

· Find a good place to secure your amp in the trunk. Make all the proper connections to your amp and make sure they won't get pulled out if something slides. You can use a bit of split wire loom to clean up the look of the wires.

Part 6: Voila!
Congratulations! Turn it on and see how she goes..

Written by: TL
[email protected]************.com
* Wire larger than 4 ga. may be difficult to fit in the wire tray. My 2 ga. was a tight fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts