The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright this maybe be a dumb question but I dunno. Okay im about to order my stillen header in a few days. Im going to have a muffler shop make me a custom 2 1/4 pipe with a highflow cat am I going to need a resenator for the pipe so it dosent back fire. Oh and i have an apexi n1 muffler. The reason i ask this is because on my jetta I used to have I had 2 1/4 pipe done strait from the cat to the dtm muffler I bought and it would always have a back firing noise after i let off the gas. Also with the new header, pipe,high flow cat, and the apexi muffler will I get a really nice sound. well thanks a lot

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
2.25 Mentrel (sp?) bent is the way to go if your doing Custom. Thats what most people will say.

·
Retired Turbo Slut
333 Posts
a resonator smooths the sound of the exhaust....hence why they have them on oem applications. A resonator will most likely reduce the "buzzing" noise that many people dont like.

Some people believe that glass packs or cherry bombs can be used as a resonator but i've been told they arent really subtitutes. I have no evidence to back this up because I do not know their composition. Call it a hunch

Alex M

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Ask erynn. She got the Stillen header, but using her stock cat, stock piping, with a OBX bomb muffler. No raspyness, no buzzing. Her exhaust sounds "normal".

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is it true you lose some horsepower when you have a resonator? I know it would be small, but you kinda need all you can get.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts