The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my '93 is acting nuts. Wife called to say the car would not start, auto seatbelts wouldn't work when opening door but dash instrument lights were illuminated on dash even after taking key out of the ignition.

I finally get home, battery is reading only 5v so I throw my Schumacher digital charger on it and it soon reads 13.1v but (only around 65% charged.)

Put the key in ignition and horn starts going crazy and interior dome light is flashing. The car has an old aftermarket keyless entry but after my wife lost the remotes we never bothered using it again, years ago.

Anyway, the car cranks right up and the horn tone gets higher, then lower again so I try shutting the hood, closing doors with drivers window down, and cycling the driver side key to lock and then unlock with my spare key while the main key is in ignition and car running. NO good, honking keeps going, stops for a second, then keeps going again.

The alternator belt on the car was a little loose the other day because my wife said she heard squealing on the way to work and then dash lights came on but she made it to work and a co worker tightened the belt up.

So I don't know if this is the battery or the aftermarket alarm being screwy, especially since the car cranks right up after quick charging it.

Ideas?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Have aftermarket alarm removed?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the quick response buddy. Yeah I was about to go underneath and at least cut the module/horn tie in.

But I could hear a loud buzzing from the engine bay with the engine off which told me something was wrong with a relay. Found the relay and reseated it and everything's back to normal except my nerves. That little horn sounds puny while driving around but wait until you're in your closed garage for 30 minutes having it go off in your ear!

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts