The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SSi Crew Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around in first gear dodging pedestrians in our local park. very low speed less than 1500 rpms. Finally I got past all the people and punched it to about 2500 had to make a turn and got off the gas heard this clunk that yanked the car a little. So I immediately pulled over and looked I couldn't see anything from under the hood. So I got back in the car and started driving around the parking lot very low speeds again this clanking seems to be louder when I am decelarating in gear between 40 and 10 mph. Gear does not matter, speed does determine the pace of the clanking. I do feel it in the shifter. Turning does not effect the noise. It does also make the noise very quietly when not in gear and seemingly only when slowing down. I'm thinking I broke an axle? kinda hoping thats all it is. I don't see anything under the car that could be rubbing any rotating parts of the car. Freakin laid in gum looking for something under the car but I see nothing abnormal, no leaks of any sort. no parts were lying around or seem loose. Any ideas?

·
It's almost over now!!
3,660 Posts
if you broke an axle...you wouldn't be driving. YET it may be an axle about to go. but if cornering doesn't effect the sounds then..hmmmmmmm.

good luck with that one...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like a bad throw out bearing or something going on in the tranny... I know when I bought my Alti in Feb the dealer was telling me that I might need a need throw out bearing because of a similar clanking noise you were talking about in low speeds that I heard.. thats been since Feb and I still havent changed it..lol:D Im still saving for a cluth, flywheel, and LSD so I can knock it all out at once... Im not saying that you shouldnt worry about the prob... Rip the tranny apart and see what the deal is when you get the time....

Hope you didnt chip a piece off the flywheel(Who knows how) cause you would be throwing your crankshaft off balance a little

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like a bad throw out bearing or something going on in the tranny... I know when I bought my Alti in Feb the dealer was telling me that I might need a need throw out bearing because of a similar clanking noise you were talking about in low speeds that I heard.. thats been since Feb and I still havent changed it..lol:D Im still saving for a cluth, flywheel, and LSD so I can knock it all out at once... Im not saying that you shouldnt worry about the prob... Rip the tranny apart and see what the deal is when you get the time....

Hope you didnt chip a piece off the flywheel(Who knows how) cause you would be throwing your crankshaft off balance a little

1 - 8 of 8 Posts