The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think I'm gonna try it today. Gonna have to use the stock filter (for now at least) as I don't have the K&N, but I'll see if it makes a difference. Couldn't you have a cheap CAI like this if you ran some heat resistant tubing from the hole in the airbox to down below where cold air could be brought in?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djsassan said:
someone try it and post results!
I've been running my car like this for about 3 weeks now and it performs better.

You can try it too and change it back very easily.

There is really no difference in this set up and the JWT Pop Charger. Some may say that the cone shape helps more, but I don't think so. If you do this mod and put your had in front of the new hole, you feel a large amout of suction.

·
Registered
535 Posts
OK..I tried this I mine. Real easy to pop off the 4 fasteners and duct tape the hole. First thing I noticed is the mean growl of the engine when you stand on it, otherwise its quiet as usual. I don't know if its me, but it seems like it pulls harder and feels quicker...specially when it hits 4k rpms. I don't think its just me, but it might be....someone else needs to try it and give their opinion!

Kevin

·
Remember Me?
1,863 Posts
kvou812 said:
OK..I tried this I mine. Real easy to pop off the 4 fasteners and duct tape the hole. First thing I noticed is the mean growl of the engine when you stand on it, otherwise its quiet as usual. I don't know if its me, but it seems like it pulls harder and feels quicker...specially when it hits 4k rpms. I don't think its just me, but it might be....someone else needs to try it and give their opinion!

Kevin
......Took 10 mins. to do....Noticed improved response and feels like it pulls harder.....noticed MPG suffered a little, only because I was having fun as my foot gets a little heavy now and then....LOL what a difference it makes....I recommend it....I bet a K/N will improve it even better....

·
USLZ.1
212 Posts
I just did this too. Seat dyno says noticeable improvement, especially pulling in first through second gear. Sound is pleasant and helps with shifting (not so quiet).

As for why it works, I am not so sure that removing the ram air scoop is the reason. Like you, I thought the ram scoop looked extremely restrictive. I was curious as to actually how small it actually was in comparison to the rest of the intake system. I am no engineer, but I measured the cross-sectional area of the stock ram scoop, the connection between the ram and the air box, and the intake hose after the air cleaner, yielding the approximate values:

ram scoop: 10 inches X .75 inches=7.5 square inches (s.i.)
ram to airbox connection: irregular shape yielding approx. 10 s.i.
intake hose after air cleaner: 3 inches diam, yielding approx. 7.1 s.i (area=3.14 x radius squared)

Disregarding changes in direction, I believe that the flow is limited by the smallest cross sectional area within the system (ie the most restrictive section). Conversely, does it not also follow that one can not net additional flow by increasing cross sectional area in one area over and above the smallest section? Following this logic, the bottleneck in the present system is in fact the 3 inch intake hose and the primary reason for the performance gains achieved with 2002Altima's ingenious modification might be the blocking of the resonator and to a lesser extent, restriction in flow from the sharp turn in the ram air scoop.

Personally, I am going to try hooking the scoop back up to see if there is any noticeable difference (also block the little resonator connected to the scoop). I think also that the scoop can be modified to double the cross sectional area over stock just by cutting out part of it with a Dremel/Rotozip. This might help negate the affect of the sharp turn in the scoop.

Wish I had easy assess to a dyno since this is really the only way we can tell for sure. However, I am going to try a simple gas mileage comparison.

·
Registered
196 Posts
2002Altima said:
That's right!! Get tons of air into that intake without paying $129 or waiting for UPS to get to your house!!! This is also a great idea to just test out what you think of the sound of an aftermarket intake.

Are you ready?!?!?

To learn more about my modification, CLICK HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Please post your thoughts!!! :D
guys, not being a dick, but honestly, go buy an APC cone intake for 20 bucks, and make a pop charger. that mod is WAY ghetto! don't take a sweet car like an altima and do that! ok, here's how i made my first "ghetto take" and it may work on your altima. i'm not sure, i need to look at it. anyway, look where your tube bolts to your airbox. there should be 4 bolts holding it on. look on the inside of your airbox. you MIGHT see a horn looking device. on my airbox all i had to do was drill out 2 rivits, and that whole inner plate is able to be removed, then take that "horn" looking thing and straighten it a bit. then you can clamp the cone filter onto that. whether you make a bracket to hold your cone is up to you. i'll post a pic as soon as i can find it. hope this helps. but please, don't drill holes in your airbox!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I agree, Blocking off the resonator may be making the most improvemrnt, it gets rid of extra air turbulence, and smoothes the
air path. and because the car sounds louder it feels faster. IN warm temperatures I would leave the cold air intake in place.When I have time I will g-tech the mod, doing a road side swap, I will post the results.

·
Registered
196 Posts
gtech? dude, ther are other intake mods you can do that will be more effective. crankcase breather is one. get rid of the hose that runs into the intake. EGR mod. . . .

·
Registered
535 Posts
2002Altima said:

I've been running my car like this for about 3 weeks now and it performs better.

You can try it too and change it back very easily.

There is really no difference in this set up and the JWT Pop Charger. Some may say that the cone shape helps more, but I don't think so. If you do this mod and put your had in front of the new hole, you feel a large amout of suction.
So what are you gonna call this mod? How about FAI.....Free Air Intake...lol

Kevin

·
Registered
951 Posts
SORRY TO WRECK THE PARTY

I went out to a remote road and ran 4 runs all in the same direction, starting at the same spot each time. The G-tech was set up for HP ratings, I put the weight at 3400 lbs which would include me and some junk in the car. I ran the car to the top of second gear each time. The first set of runs was stock air intake, the second set of runs was with the cold air intake removed and the resonator hole covered. Note: I used the stock nissan air filter.

First runs stock: 197, 194, 209 198 AVG: 199.5 hp

Second run, air intake mod: 193, 200, 192, 213 AVG: 199.5 hp

My observations!

Looks like there is no hp improvement with this mod.
The car felt faster with the air intaker removed!
Icy and bumpy roads made for wheels spin which affected
the Hp ratings for the runs, If roads had been dry I bet the hp numbers would be closer together.
The g-tech claims it takes drive trian losses into consideration.
The best quater mile time I could get with the air intake removed was 14.9. With the stock set up I pulled a 14.8 , On other days on dryer roads I have run a 14.7

I am not tying to flame this modification, I think it's great we get such good ideas on this board. I was just trying to help do some more accurate non seat of the pants testing.

·
Former Honda owner
348 Posts
I modified my JWT pop charger into a CAI. Ran 3" pipe down in front of driver side wheel well. Works great!

·
124 Posts
Don't Drill Holes ...

I've been friends with the owner (CEO, Top-guy, whatever) of AiRaid for years. Every time I end up with a new vehicle I hit him up for intake mods. I can't tell you how many times he has told me to drill some holes in the stock airbox and add a K&N filter.

As far as HP gains, I seriously doubt that the change from any intake system alone is significant enough to be measured by a G-tech or the like. The goal here is better breathing (in AND out) and without a less restrictive exhaust, this goal is not realized. I'd be interested in the difference that Altimat (or anyone with a non-stock exhaust) could feel or measure with this mod.

Way to go 2002, these are the type of things that make this site worth visiting!

·
Registered
196 Posts
ritepina said:
I modified my JWT pop charger into a CAI. Ran 3" pipe down in front of driver side wheel well. Works great!
i hope to god that's not PVC. . . . you know when that heats up it gives off a gas that can be VERY damaging to your engine. . . .

·
Registered
535 Posts
Altimat said:
I very seriously doubt that the intake could intake could heat up enough to give off a gas.
Yeah if you look at that pic...you'll see that the pipe is a good 12" from the engine....with the battery and a fuse box between the two.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.