The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an auto 3.5SE, and I've found I really don't have any torque steer when launching from a relatively level surface. (I think I have torque-steer-jealousy!) I've also read several reviews, like the road test from Edmunds, that also state there is little to no torque steer in a 3.5.

I'd imagine it would be present in the 5-speeds, but what you automatic owners? Does it vary by each car? If you have it, is it "hold on for your life" kind of torque steer, or merely a little excitement / pull on the steering wheel? Actually, I noticed a little torque steer during the break-in period (I know, it's just so hard not to step on it a couple of times...) but that seems gone now.

Maybe I'll have my car dynoed...

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Torque steer reminds me of a slightly less violent steering wheel on arcade machines where the wheel shakes, its fun.

After a while you don't even realize it, something that you just get used to:D

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Since my 3.5 Auto just recently hit over 1K miles I've only had a couple of occasions to really stomp on it. Once was on the freeway stepping out to get around some toad doing about 40mph coming off of a connector. The pavement was dry but when I got into it the wheel reminded me of the way a front wheel drive car feels when it's breaking traction. But there is no way it broke traction at that speed on dry pavement.
The other time it just reminded my of feeling like the car was pulling to the right. Not severly, just very obvious.
This is also the first FWD car that I've owned that has this much torque. Those old fashion RWD cars just don't react the same, ya' know :D

Just my $.02

·
Registered
717 Posts
Torque Steer Envy...?

Not me.
I've got the 3.5 5- speed with intake/exhaust mods and IMO
the acceleration is alot smoother esp. up top where you
would get the torque steer when you floor it.

·
M W S
386 Posts
You want a good demo of torque steer?

Drive any relatively-powerful front wheel GM car that does not have traction control !! HOLD ON TO THAT WHEEL !!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
marks said:
You want a good demo of torque steer?

Drive any relatively-powerful front wheel GM car that does not have traction control !! HOLD ON TO THAT WHEEL !!
want a demo of no torque steer? My bro's 93 Maxima SE 5sp. rated at 190hp and just as much tq. Good thing they came with LSD as standard equipment. Of course, I'm leaving out a lil detail, but no worries.
Jay

·
Registered
79 Posts
On flat and level, it's not too bad, but on twisties with crown surfaces or worn tire tracks, it reminds me of a quote from a CW McCall song ... "like a burlap sack full of bobcats":D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Torque steer

Get a little bit when you really get on it, noticed that on the way to work this morning whe I was at a light and had to get in front of the guy beside me so I could tur at the next intersection, took of conservativly at first then floored it, shifted at about 5800rpm and the tires spun violently into 2nd but with a little pull on the wheel the car came back straight & true. Still pretty cold here, about 2C (35F) and can't wait til' summer so I can here those tires squeel on warm asphalt:eek: :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
it's there....

I can feel it in my automatic. It's not too bad at all, like most folks have already said. If you're on a straight, level surface and you give it a stomp, it's just barely noticeable. I went into kind of a tight turn today though, and gave it a hefty nudge and really felt it move. I can see where it *might* be dangerous if you're not expecting it. But while driving sensibly (a hard thing to do in a car this fun) I don't think it could ever be a problem.
zipflint

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! It reminds me of the power sitting beneath my ass!

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
My previous car was an all wheel drive turbo Volvo Cross country and you had to bury your foot to the floor each time to go fast because of the turbo lag.I did this with the Altima and whoo boy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this Torque Steer or something else?

I have a 2.5SL Automatic that I have had at the dealer twice this week with a pull to the right side while the car is under acceleration (light or hard).

When I first took the car in, it was not tracking straight with the steering wheel straight so I had them fix that. But when the car came back to me, it started pulling significantly to the right under acceleration. If I let go of the steering wheel while going straight and accelerated, the steering wheel would turn to the right, and I would be in the next lane in about 5 seconds.

Is this torque steer?

The dealer said I should be expecting something like this with the new Altima. The dealer said he corrected tire pressures, torqued the suspension bolts, and corrected tire pressures.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
CW McCall...?????

Redbird99 said:
......it reminds me of a quote from a CW McCall song ... "like a burlap sack full of bobcats":D
Breaker 1-9 this is the Rubber Duck!!!! Man..you OLD!!!

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
Dangerous...

Last night I was changing lanes at 40-50mph and while changing I dropped to 3rd. The car wanted to decide on which lane it was going into so I had to fight it - VERY DANGEROUS - while changing lanes. Next time I'll switch lanes first - then downshift...

Best thing I can describe it as last night is fighting a strong crosswind.

There is no feel when you're loosing traction you just get the steering wheel lash after you've gained traction again...

Hey its all relative - still love the car!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts