The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad tried to get mad at me cuz it was noisy. he said i was raggin the hell out of the car, i said NO, but still..lol.. i told him it was something in the timing chain that makes it less noisy is broken...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
the plastic guide needs to be taken out. it's a common problem. it hasn't really gotten bad on my car...very rarely do i hear it slapping.
Jay

·
Banned
563 Posts
ThurzNite-------- the plastic guide needs to be taken out. it's a common problem. it hasn't really gotten bad on my car...very rarely do i hear it slapping.

---------------------------------------------------
curious what plasitc? ive notice theres like a slight ticking not sure if its the vavles or timming chain

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
i can't remember if it's at the top or bottom of the chain, but it basically prevents the chain from jumping off (falling off). I think peterson knows more about it.
Jay

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it a Do-It-youself job? what do u do, just take that thing out adn leave it out without replacing it?:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
ok, had to look in the fsm to be sure. Take off the valve cover. On the passenger side of the engine, you'll see the timing chain. Above the timing chain (right in front of your face) is the chain guide. It's a flat piece roughly an inch wide and maybe 2 inches long, held by 1 or 2 bolts from the top (i'm going by the diagram in the fsm...i haven't looked @ the actual part closely yet).
Here's the theory: as your car wears, the chain wears. The chain will start expanding cuz the links are worn and so are the gear teething. When u accelerate, the centrifugal force causes the chain to fly away from the gear...when it flies far enuf, it'll slap the chain guide on top. It doesn't slap anything else cuz nothing else is close to the chain's path.
Again, someone else who's actaully done the proceedure will tell u more. I'm going based on my knowledge found in the fsm, accounts given here, and on the maxima boards.
Jay

·
DRGN4DR
2,128 Posts
ka24's have the noiseiest timing chain...fawk, why coudnt they use a belt? then maybe we could get adjustable cam gears?

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
ThurzNite said:
When u accelerate, the centrifugal force causes the chain to fly away from the gear...when it flies far enuf, it'll slap the chain guide on top. It doesn't slap anything else cuz nothing else is close to the chain's path.
Mine is only noisy at idle? Does anyone else's get noisy as you accelerate? I thought that the slack was taken up during acceleration so it only did it at idle?

·
11,384 Posts
Most are noisy at idle, and the noise goes away when you give it some gas because it puts more tension on the chain, and "eliminates" the slack. Mine only makes noise at idle.

To remove the upper guard, you just need to remove the valve cover, like Thurz said, and remove 2 bolts. The piece looks like a black plastic number 7. I removed mine, and it only slightly reduced the noise. Joehotrod works at the Nissan dealership near me, and he told me it's the upper chain tensioner making the noise...You would have to remove the passenger side motor mount and the alternator to get to it. It's under a side cover...He said it's not too hard a job, just takes a little time.

I have a brand new upper tensioner I got from Dave B, I just never got around to installing it. I will when I pull the motor out later this winter.

I'm glad we don't have timing belts....Chains are reliable as hell. That's why the Maximas went back to chains and ditched the belts. They make cam gears for the Altima, BTW.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yeah but for all the time and trouble, is it worth it? Esp. for a
2-4 hp gain? (Gain taken from something printed somewhere...)

·
"Queen of the Miles"
163 Posts
The noise is very common in most Altimas.

Like Peterson said it is the tensioner.

My upper tensioner was removed. I believe there
is a upper and a lower tensioner(s). Mine got to
a point when the rattling was getting louder and
LOUDER...

No problems since its removal since it really
serves no purpose....(knock on wood)

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
Peterson said:
I'm glad we don't have timing belts....Chains are reliable as hell. That's why the Maximas went back to chains and ditched the belts. They make cam gears for the Altima, BTW.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
Peterson said:
What horsepower gains are you talking about? The reason to replace it is so that the chain doesn't get worn out and break, causing the engine to lock up.
I think maybe he is talking about the cam gears? I dunno.

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok...so if i remove the upper tensioner, the problem will go away? how long will it take to remove? am i endandering anything when i remove the upper tensioner? i just want the noise gone!

·
11,384 Posts
No...you can remove the upper guide, and that might loose some of the noise...To tell you the truth, you might not even have the guide...I think Nissan stopped putting them on. But you cannot remove the upper tensioner. that is actually inside the engine, and must remain there. you could replace the tensioner, but like I said before, that's a decent amount of work.

The guide is the "7" looking thing on the left side of the engine under the valve cover. The tensioner is a bit deeper in the engine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts