The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone says you shouldn't do it, and that you should vary the speed during the break-in period.

Well, I found a couple of cars out there, both of them about 1300 miles away. Cheapest cost of shipping I could find is $675. I can fly there, pick the car up and drive it back for about $450, but I was concerned about the long-term impact on the engine.

Thx

·
Registered
114 Posts
just vary your speed avery half hour or so. if it's a manual drive in 4th for a little while (it's really the rpm's that should vary). if you go in 5-10mph increments between 60 (if you have the patience) and 80 you should be fine.

·
Ar Dont Do That
297 Posts
my dad says keep it 70 and below

i drive automatic

until 1200 miles

·
cruiser
1,016 Posts
very the speed and make frequent stops

·
Registered
833 Posts
Don't run with the cruise on, it may be annoying, but you are basically forced to vary the speed. Unless, of course you constantly watch the speedo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What will happen if you run with the cruise on?
Went to San Antonio 2 times 190 miles from houston...
I was doing between 65 and 85 and I would have the cruise on for about 30 minutes at the longest. The car had 64 miles on it before left to go out of town. Bought it Jan.29 with 11 miles on it...
Today have 3164 on it, did first oil change yesterday....

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,035 Posts
Don't Ship it unless its like your best friend taking it in his covered hauler. Transport companies depend on a network of independent towers to get a car from point A to B, and it is a nightmare!! My friend moved from MA to AZ, and left her car with me to get picked up by AA auto transport. For a week I spent at least an hour a day on the phone screaming at these people because they never came when they said they would. The car was left in a parking lot, and I had the keys, so I obviously wanted them to show up. When they did finally show up, it took them 3 extra weeks to get it to AZ, and it was lost in Texas for awhile. When she got it finally, her dash collum was ripped apart like someone tried to hotwire it, her back windows wouldnt go up and down, and she had a big dent in her door. All these AA refused to take responsibility, and wouldnt even give her a rental in the three weeks she was without a car! I would have sued!! She was WAY too nice about it.

Anyway, back to the point, just take it easy on it, it will be fine. Dont drive more than an hour or two before taking a rest and letting the car cool down all the way. Also, if its a 5 Speed, alternate between 4 and 5, (or D and 3 on an auto) all the way home.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you drive it home from the dealer, you don't have to drive another 1,000 miles to break it in. Just follow the break-in speed patterns.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
1300 miles...

That's the record there buddy!
You should call Nissan and see if
they'll put you in one of there Shift_
commercials.

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: 1300 miles...

SE-Rious said:
That's the record there buddy!
You should call Nissan and see if
they'll put you in one of there Shift_
commercials.

Haha.. well, I have a few options. Still exploring them. Windi (Wendy?) might come through for me yet (didn't talk to her until today because she didn't get to me until then).

By-the-way, she wanted to know who referred me to her. I told her: "Uh, some guy from the net :)"

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Re: Re: 1300 miles...

Aquineas said:
Haha.. well, I have a few options. Still exploring them. Windi (Wendy?) might come through for me yet (didn't talk to her until today because she didn't get to me until then).

By-the-way, she wanted to know who referred me to her. I told her: "Uh, some guy from the net :)"
Tell her it was Alex with the White 3.5 Alty.
She'll know who it is...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts