The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1993 GXE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm ridin on sprints/stock shocks, been ridin like this for about a month.
tha rides been tha same since i installed them, though i have been warned that tha shocks will eventually give in.
when or if it does happen, how will i know? will it be obvious that it blew or do i need to get it checked?

any info is kool, thanks dawg

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
I'm on Intrax 2" with my original MacPherson performance struts from my 1993 SE, it's been about 6 months since I dropped the car...and there IS a diference. My struts really are shot now, you will be able to tell. Because when I hit even a bloody TWIG on the road, or a friggen blade of grass, I hear a *THUMP* and it sounds like the top of the strut is going to come straight through the hood. Hope this helps. :)

New struts next spring, car's going into storage in 2 weeks, so not worth it right now.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Goto a corner of your car. Try to stand on the bumper at that corner and bounce on it...then jump off or stop. If the car stops bouncing after 1 oscillation, you're ok. But if it keeps going up and down, you need new struts.
My car listed below is on original struts, 151k. When I do this test (I sit my ass on the bumper and rock it), it goes up, down, up, down, stop. I went to a dealer and tried it on a 2001...it went up, barely go down (1cm?) and stopped.

Also, it rides like a boat...just goes up and down over bumps.

If you're taking your struts/springs out, this's a better test. Pull the strut as long as it will go...then wait a minute...if the strut shortens, you've got worn struts. When I put in the eibachs, the struts sucked all the way down till 2" beyond the threads were showing...worn as heck!
Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts