The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now that I've decided on the KA engine has anyone found a way to smooth it out some so there isn't so much vibration felt throught the entire car? The reason I had been considering the SR was because I've noticed it runs much smoother in general.

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
Better motor mounts. Once I replaced mine it ran a lot smoother. The stock ones work fine but Place Racing also makes them if I'm not mistaken.

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
At first yeah but it smooths out after breaking them in. At l;east that what I heard,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm talking about the engine itself. I fully intend to replace motor mounts with new ones, and upgrade when I do so. What I'm looking for is a way to quelch the excess vibration of the engine itself. I've seen it done with the Ford 2.3, but I don't remember how they did it. It wasn't a seperate counter balance shaft though.

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
mine doesnt vibrate much........what r u talking about.......

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
yeah, i think the ka is pretty nice, makes a nice urgent hum at >4000 rpm, very nice....

below that its pretty quite and discrete...

stock that is...

·
1st Gen SE Lover
2,520 Posts
My KA experience has been kinda funny. :dunno:

My 93se was smooth as silk. You couldn't even hear it when you were standing right in front of it. The exhaust came out really smooth when at an idle.

My 95se is definitely different. You can hear it when in front of the car, but it's not loud or anything. The exhaust putts when the car is idling.

I'm not sure if just the mounts had to do with the difference, but I think something in the two engines was different as well.

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
okay, sounds like u r building the engine.... sorry i missed that...

then there is no problem.... u would fully lighten and balance any of the internals u are keeping in any case.... it makes a big difference...

also, i find mild cams, ported heads, and new valves (seats) with balanced internals on built engines... these are mostly very smooth.... u shouldnt have a problem... thats one of the best things with building engines.... u can fix a lot of the production tolerances + get performance with the one foul swoop !! bahaha !! :angry4:

·
Banned
117 Posts
KA24DE is not the smoothest engine.
Take toyota's 2.2 found on camry, or one in Accord, both of them have soft, quite timing belt... nissan has chain...

KA24DE is not very refined byitself. That's why new car reviews always noted: "The engine is a little rough" - at all modes, on new cars...
That's just its natural feature.

·
Registered
69 Posts
During a build up you can have the entire assembly balanced with flywheel and such as well. That will help considerably.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
place racing mounts are stiffer than stock, they're a lot harsher ride... I should know, I have em.

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
exactly...^^ they are meant for performance and will transmit more shock ....

think about it ... performance mod for ricers.... vs stock mounts in a family grocery getter..???

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
inoplanetyanin said:
KA24DE is not the smoothest engine.
Take toyota's 2.2 found on camry, or one in Accord, both of them have soft, quite timing belt... nissan has chain...

KA24DE is not very refined byitself. That's why new car reviews always noted: "The engine is a little rough" - at all modes, on new cars...
That's just its natural feature.

pssst, please dont compare a camry engine to ours, it'ld take the ka anyday...

u kno, i dont get it, this guy wants to build a ka, and his worried about excessive drive train noise? surely with angry cams, + intake and exhaust it would be the least of your worries...

if by 'smooth it out' u mean to get rid of the lumpyness at low revs and to increase abilty at high revs, then cams and internal work + balancing is the ticket !

cheers

joe

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Just part of the price of having 4 fairly big pistons inline w/ no balance shafts, but my 93 is absolutely silent at idle (well, if when it idles at 800-1000):D Seriously, I changed the big passenger side mount and it made a serious difference, I'm fixing to change the driver side also- Honestly, for the size of the motor w/o shafts, I think it's pretty smooth as long as the mounts are good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts